Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GreenEnvy
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Lee

Intermittent errors on BR 6.5 and Vsphere 5.1

Post by GreenEnvy »

I recently installed BR6.5 in two of our sites. In both sites, I created a new vSphere 5.1 installation. In both sites, BR6.5 is installed on server 2012, since we upgraded our file servers to Server 2012 to take advandate of dedupe.

In one site, I had tried to export the database from Veeam and import it after installing the new vcenter. this didn't work so I ended up redoing it from scratch. That site appears to be working OK.
The second site, I did a clean install of BR6.5, on the same Windows 2012 VM that vcenter is running on. I setup a backup job for our file server (windows 2012), DC and Print server (2k8r2).

The first job ran fine, no errors. The next night, the Print server ran ok, but the file server and DC are generating this error:

Code: Select all

10/30/2012 9:54:52 PM :: Error: Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[BUEQL-VOL2] BU-SRV-DC01/BU-SRV-DC01.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [busrv-vcenter0];Port: 443;Login: [****];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-29];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-63];Transports: [hotadd:nbd];Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors:
Looks like an authorization error but I can't tell how that would be. All three guests are on the same esxi host, same vcenter. All are domain computers. I can't tell why one computer will complete ok, but the other 2 won't. Time matches on all the machines.

Any thoughts?
GreenEnvy
Enthusiast

Re: Intermittent errors on BR 6.5 and Vsphere 5.1

Post by GreenEnvy »

ok so noticed on both of those two trouble machines, the user that veeam connects to vcenter as was logged in remotely to those computers. Logged out, and now they backup ok.
Any idea why? This was never an issue before.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello Lee, please note that you must include support case ID with any issue you are posting on these forums, or your post will be removed - as explained when you click New Topic. Thanks!
GreenEnvy
Enthusiast

Post by GreenEnvy »

Submitted a support request, 00153484

So last night, our job ran with the 3 VM's it backs up. The first attempt all 3 failed. Got an error about login/password being wrong. 1st retry did the same. 2nd retry 2 of the three completed successfully, 3rd retry the last machine still failed.
Nothing was changed at night.The user the backups are running as hasn't had it's password changed in months.
NightBird
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by NightBird »

Same problem here, I upgraded a customer to vsphere 5.1 and now some VM backup failed with "incorrect login/password"
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Might be an issue with vSphere 5.1 itself... I've seen a number of complaints on the internet about various security and permission related issues after upgrading to vSphere 5.1. Not really surprising considering all the major changes in security due to SSO.
davidrb84
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: david bowes

Post by davidrb84 »

I'm seeing this exact issue on a freshly installed vcentre/veeam setup.

Did anyone ever track down the problem?
davidrb84
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: david bowes

Post by davidrb84 » 2 people like this post

It turns out that it might well have been a problem with symbols in the password, removed them and now appears to be working well. weird bug!