Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
travis.vanholland
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Travis Van Holland

Veeam Vss Service Marked for Deletion

Post by travis.vanholland »

Case# 00133894

This seems to be a recurring issue that shows up randomly on different servers and a reboot is required to "fix" the issue.

"Error: Cannot register management service. Service name: [VeeamVssSupport]. Cannot create service. Machine: [x.x.x.x]. The specified service has been marked for deletion. Code:1072"

Couple things to note:
  • The directory 'C:\Windows\VeeamVssSupport\*' is gone from all of the problem servers
    The Veeam Vss Service is disabled on the problem servers
Has anybody else seen this error and been able to resolve it differently?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Vss Service Marked for Deletion

Post by veremin »

Hi, Travis.

As far as I'm concerned, there are no solutions for that problem apart from the one you’ve already mentioned. The official Microsoft approach is to reboot the server. Because the affected service has been marked for deletion, it should be gone after the reboot. And yes, the first backup job after the reboot should be successful.

However, some blogs advice to open the Registry Editor and remove the service entry. Though, without 100% guarantees.
If you eventually find other solution for this issue, don’t hesitate to let me know.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
travis.vanholland
Influencer

That's kind of what I came up with during my research. Some posts were saying having the MMC open while uninstalling the service will hang up the process. I can't confirm nor deny whether the MMC was open on these servers during the backup jobs. In talking with Veeam support they suggested changing an option in my backup jobs to truncate the SQL logs immediately instead of on a successful backup. So I will try this and repost here.

Bit of info: These are all SQL servers (2005, 2008, 2008R2) running on 2003 and 2008R2.
travis.vanholland
Influencer

Tried replicating the problem in house with no success.

Test backup job with MMC.exe running on the server being backed up and the services.msc open. VeeamVssSupport still uninstalled properly. I am going to try deleting the user profile on the server and creating that fresh.