Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
KC234
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle Campbell

Quick Replication Fails with Veeam 6.5 and dual ESXi 5.1

Post by KC234 »

I have 2 ESXi servers that both have recently been upgraded to ESXi 5.1 with the virtual hardware of the VM's bumped to vmx-9 (latest version).
Veeam 6.5 is reported that the quick migration cannot work because of an incompatibility of the virtual hardware level on the target server.
Since both ESXi servers have the same version, this seems like a strange error to have.

Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Quick Replication Fails with Veeam 6.5 and dual ESXi 5.1

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kyle,

This is a known issue for Quick Migration jobs, which is going to be fixed in the next updates. Meanwhile, please use replication job as a workaround.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

The issue is with virtual hardware v9 specifically. The default is still v8 (even when creating VMs on vSphere 5.1), this is how this bug slipped through.
KC234
Lurker
Full Name: Kyle Campbell

Post by KC234 »

Good tips, thanks for the help.

K
tholyoak
Enthusiast

Post by tholyoak »

I'm facing the same problem. I've been moving VMs around while upgrading all our hosts. I guess I should have waited until I moved them back to upgrade the hardware version.

The biggest problem with using replication to do it is that I can't have anyone using the server in the meantime, or else I lose any changes. This is especially a problem with our web servers. Or is there a way to do it where the original is powered off, changes are copied over, and the new one is automatically powered up, like with quick migration?

And how soon do you expect quick migration to be fixed?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

When enough issues are reported to justify patch release. As always, large amount of support cases opened on this issue may potentially result in standalone hotfix released sooner.
StefanSchmidbauer
Novice
Full Name: Stefan Schmidbauer

Post by StefanSchmidbauer »

Hi,

I'm having the same problem here, two ESXi hosts with 5.1.3 on it and the current, Veeam B&R Standard 6.5.0.191. Instant Recovery fails with the same Error. The VMs Versions are vmx-09 which seems to be the default hardware whenever i upgrade any older VM hardware.

Fix or patch would be very helpful.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Stefan, could you please verify the build number? Veeam B&R v6.5 never had such a build number and the problem discussed in this thread (Quick Migration support for VM hardware version 9) was fixed in the Patch #1 (build 128).
StefanSchmidbauer
Novice
Full Name: Stefan Schmidbauer

Post by StefanSchmidbauer »

Sorry, the build number is 6.5.0.109. When logging in at veeam.com this is the latest version i could see. I'm trying the patch now, thanks!