Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
warrenh
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Warren

Veeam 6.5/6.1 Surebackup Issue

Post by warrenh »

First off great product! My Support Case ID is #00150744. Logs have been submitted to support.

I have had the issue with both Veeam B&R 6.1 and 6.5.

My setup is 3 sites. All 3 sites have Vsphere 4.1 running, Equallogic for the primary storage(VMware Datastores), and Exagrid for the backup storage(Veeam B&R Repository).

Surebackup fails in the primary datacenter where Veeam is running. The job fails after the vm that is being tested with Surebackup is published at the registering stage. It fails saying the "vm name (with all the random numbers related to the Surebackup vm" is already registering to datastore-45678."

I have successfully gotten Surebackup to run in a remote datacenter that Veeam B&R server was not installed in. Thanks to the discussions in some of the other forum posts, I was able to get the netwoking side of it going and those jobs run fine.

I have restarted my VMware agents on the ESX hosts, tried different datastores, tried different vm's in the Surebackup jobs. In the process it was discovered that vmotion was not working. That issue is now resolved. The switch stack did not have jumbo frames enabled. The switch stack is a Cisco 3750. Still the same result on all the Surebackup jobs running in the primary datacenter where Veeam B&R is running.

Any suggestions?
warrenh
Novice

Re: Veeam 6.5/6.1 Surebackup Issue

Post by warrenh »

Had to cancel my support ticket, due to a VMware upgrade being pushed up in priority.

That was completed this week. Some network issues were found with the Exagrid device. The Exagrid was working, but it looks like proxy arp was helping it replicate and dns was not resolving to all IP addresses of the Exagrid.

I will update the post once it is resolved so if any one else is having similar issues it may help them. If it is not resolved I will open another ticket and post the results here as well.
warrenh
Novice

Post by warrenh » 2 people like this post

OK so all is resolved.

What seemed to be causing the issue, was not causing any other issues in the production environment, but was a configuration issue on the Exagrid appliance.

The Exagrid had the wrong gateway address in it's network configuration. The gateway address it had was for the another VLAN. It should have been 10.255.x.x, but was set to 10.254.x.x.

Surebackup seems overall really stable and has helped identify some underlying issues within my other network configurations. From my experience it has been a very valuable tool, to help find issues, that may pop up one day in production or if you are ever in full blown recovery mode.

I hope this information helps anyone else who might be having the same. When I was searching for possible solutions, the information on the "interweb" seemed more scarce on Surebackup, than with some of the other features with Veeam.

As I said before great product and it was really worth the time spent on troubleshooting the issue!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Thank you for your kind words, and great feedback on SureBackup. I am true fan of this technology myself.
I think your post will make a great final quote for my weekly forum digest tomorrow!