Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
steve21
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stevin Truijen

network flood

Post by steve21 »

Hello Everyone,

i have upgraded to 6.5 the other day and what has recently started happening is when the backups are ruining nightly it is flooding out my network. i had enable throttling to 500mb/s and it is still flooding the crap out of my network. the proxy is on vmware with all the other vm's and veeam is set as the proxy. the sever that it is backing up to just stores the back-up jobs and does not do anything else. it is in a Cisco gigabit switch as well. if anyone has any ideas on why this still might be flooding the network that would be greatly appreciated. i have just recently decreased the throttling down to 100mb/s and am rerunning the back-ups to see if it will work without flooding the network.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: network flood

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Steven,

What is your target repository for the backup jobs? Is it a CIFS share by any chance?

Thanks!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Vitaliy, about your question, is it as I suspect the throttling is in regards only of the effective data transferrer by Veeam, and not all the chatty SMB protocol? This means SMB protocol overhead is to be considered as added to the throttling value. Is it correct?

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Luca,

Actually I meant to say that network throttling can only be used between source and target agents, and since there are no agents on CIFS repository, network throttling rules cannot be applied.

Thanks!
steve21
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stevin Truijen

Post by steve21 »

the target repository is a windows 2003 server. I had reset the traffic throttling down even lower(100Mbps) after i had posted last night and i also noticed that the use multiple TCP/IP connections per job was selected. i had deselected it and let the back-up run. it looks to have stopped the flooding currently and ran the back-up fine. the server that it is backing up to also has dual nic's. the whole set-up was working great with no traffic throttling up until i had made the switch to 6.5 i was even able to hit 1Gbps on some back-ups and it not affect other network performance.