Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sthurlow
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Symon Thurlow

Non-root access - specific rights

Post by sthurlow »

Hi there,

I am wanting to replicate a bunch of servers that are in a hosted environment. The hoster won't allow root access to their ESX hosts. I need to specify the exact permissions required so they can create a user for me.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where this is documented? It's not in the user guide that I could see.

Thanks,

Symon
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Non-root access - specific rights

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Symon,

If you are not allowed to use root account then you may use any non-root account and choose "elevete account to root" option in the SSH connection properties of the ESX server. Also you may add your VMs using vCenter connection and choose agentless mode (no need to specify root credentials) to perform your replication job.

Thanks!
rpmahony
Influencer

[MERGED] Add server, root works, new user does not

Post by rpmahony »

I've installed Veeam B&R 6.5 and am trying to add my stand-alone ESX 3.5 host but I'm having problems authenticating using a newly created user. If I use root, it authenticates and brings me to the SSH page. I don't want to use root for the job if I don't have to. I've created the new user and added gone as far as adding it to the same groups as root but it still fails with "Permission to perform this operation was denied." Anyone attempt this and know what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,
Rusty
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Rusty,

Please review this topic for one of the possible solutions. On a side note, If you do not want to use SSH at all, clear the "Use service console connection to this server" check box. In this case, Veeam Backup & Replication will work with the server in the agentless mode.

Thanks!
rpmahony
Influencer

Post by rpmahony »

The screen I'm having difficulty using a non-root account is the screen before the SSH setup. Must I use root on the Credentials screen of the New VMware Server screen?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, I don't think so, I believe you can use any account that can connect to the specified ESX(i) host.