Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Quick Migration - A real help

Post by zak2011 » 4 people like this post

I was asked a short while ago to move a VM from an old esxhost in the existing vcenter to a new ESXi host which was a standalone server. Initially i was trying hard to figure out how i would do this task in the simplest and quickest way.We use vsphere4 standard so we dont have vMotion or svMotion and planned to go for the upgrade later on.
Thats when the option of Quick Migration sprung up. I tried the Quick Migration and it worked very well. I didn't need vMotion or svMotion to do the job.
We were really impressed!
Just wanted to say a BIG THANKS to the Veeam team for including this extremely useful feature. We saved a lot of time, resources and money doing the Quick Migration.
Thanks a lot!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Quick Migration - A real help

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Arun, thank you for your kind words and for taking time to write this feedback - I have forwarded this to the R&D team.

By the way, based on our vSphere 5.1 testing, we have found (despite of popular belief) Quick Migration to be still very useful in multiple scenarios - even with enhanced, shared-nothing VMotion in vSphere 5.1 now available in most vSphere editions.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Your welcome, Gostev...my pleasure.
For the price we pay to upgrade to vSphere5.1 ( of course its always cool to upgrade to the latest edition)..we see that it was the right decision to invest in Veeam for really useful features we get in one product.
Thanks!
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

During a quick migration I was trying to migrate a VM from an ESXi host to an ESX host using the same datastore.
However the validation said there wasn't enough space on the datastore do to take the snapshot.
Is there a way to do the migration within Quick Migration from host to host without the need for a snapshot?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

No, otherwise it would not be "quick". ;) To provide quick migration of a VM in background, Veeam B&R creates its snapshot and copies disks content to the target datastore. Then, only VM state and changes after snapshot creation need to be synced, which takes considerably less time.