Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
elwappo
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Backup failure on a esx 3.0.2 host

Post by elwappo »

I have a 3.0.2 ESX host and I am getting this error on backing up a VM:

Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze: VMware tools status is "toolsOld"

So I did as the message implied and upgraded my tools. However I am still getting this error. Any thoughts?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6721 times

Re: Backup failure on a esx 3.0.2 host

Post by Gostev »

For some reason, ESX host still considers VMware Tools to be outdated (we query VMware Tools state from ESX directly). You can double check this by opening your ESX server's MOB site with any web browser and navigating to the corresponging VM. If you've never done this before, please contact our support for instructions.

If you are able to confirm this issue through MOB, this should equip you well to open support case with VMware and having them investigate and fix the issue with VMware Tools state.
elwappo
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by elwappo »

Sorry I'm posting so late on this but here was what happened. We ended up on a whim removing the tools from one of the vm's, rebooting, and reinstalling them. It worked like a champ. So apparently just upgrading existing tools flat out doesn't work sometimes. :-)

Very odd. But it solved the problem. Only downside was the downtime to reboot my vm. But this is not a Veeam issue probably just an old 3.0.2 host issue.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6721 times

Post by Gostev »

Tom, thank you very much for updating this topic with resolution - this would certainly help future readers.