Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sl4sh
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: d b

Saving vmx, vmxf, nvram files takes long time on one plan

Post by sl4sh »

Hello, I will be opening a support case today regarding this.
I have 7 backup plans, with 12 machines total being backed up. They all go to the same Samba destination and are using the same b/u proxy (vm, also management server).
When looking at the "statistics" for each task, saving the vmx, vmxf, and nvram files takes between 1 and 6 seconds each on all plans but one.
The odd plan out is scheduled to backup an exchange server with forward incrementals ever hour (full backups weekly), and saving the vmx etc files takes 30 seconds to two minutes each.
Anyone know why this would occur on one machine? Is it specific to the fact that the backups are running more frequently?
Thanks!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Saving vmx, vmxf, nvram files takes long time on one pla

Post by tsightler »

Is this backup significantly larger than the other jobs? Have you noticed if the performs slows as the week goes on? My guess is that the amount of metadata that must be read and flushed because of the size of the job and the length of the chain is causing the problem as I've seen this slow performance quite regularly for large backups with a lot of metadata. It appears that the metadata is refreshed for each file that is stored.
sl4sh
Novice

Post by sl4sh »

Its not the largest for sure, its simply the most frequent. I'll look back and see how it was doing directly after the last full, and run a full to see if that speeds it up afterwards.
Thanks for the suggestion
sl4sh
Novice

Post by sl4sh »

I believe you are correct sir, doing a full backup the vmx etc files saved in 1 sec or less, so it must just be the metadata checks are taking a bit longer.
Thank you!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

This issue is generally more noticeable when using an SMB share because of the way metadata has to be read and flushed. If possible you might consider switching this backup to a target capable of running the Veeam repository agent (pretty much any Windows or Linux system with a locally mounted disk) and you might see some improvement.