Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

Enforce Retention Policy at Beginning of Job?

Post by brupnick »

I was wondering if it's possible (registry key?) to enforce the retention policy at the beginning of a backup job rather than at the end. In my case, I'm doing traditional incrementals and usually keep two sets of fulls and incrementals on disk. However, when I'm ready to create full #3, I need to delete full #1 and its incrementals to make room for the new full. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Enforce Retention Policy at Beginning of Job?

Post by tsightler »

If it was enforced prior to the job it technically wouldn't change since deleting the old backup would violate the defined policy.

I have two suggestions,

1. Simply reduce the retention requirements so that full #1 and it's increments are deleted on the last incremental run prior the the full #3 run. That would mean that on the last day prior to running Full #3 you would only have restore points for Full #2 and it's incrementals.

2. Create and schedule a Powershell script that purges the older backups immediately prior to the Full #3 backup. For example, if Full #3 is run at 6PM on Saturday, a simple script to purge Full #1 at 5:55PM on Saturday should do the trick.
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

Thanks Tom. I do like the first option, but this number could vary since I do my full backups on the first Friday/Saturday of the month. I will explore this further to see if there's a way that I can get it to work for me.

The way I'm currently handling this is to manually delete the oldest .vbk and all the associated .vib files. Is this acceptable from a VBR perspective? By doing it this way, is VBR able to update itself to know that I have removed X number of restore points?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

brupnick wrote:Is this acceptable from a VBR perspective? By doing it this way, is VBR able to update itself to know that I have removed X number of restore points?
Yes, this solution should be acceptable, though I also believe it's better to adjust your retention policy settings accordingly.
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

Is there anything special that I need to do in VBR (a rescan or some sort) after I manually delete a backup set like that?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Repository rescan should take care of updating the configuration database to reflect removed backups.