Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
joost1981
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Joost Poulissen

Error message using VCB

Post by joost1981 »

Hi Guys,

I hope someone here can help me any further with a VCB issue we have encounterd.
We have installed a new backup server (Windows 2003 Enterprise R2), on this server we installed Veeam Backup 3.0.1, VCB, EMC PowerPath. This server is connected to a EMC CX3-40. We are able to backup a VM using the "Network Backup" option. If we use the "VMWare Consildated Backup" we receive a error message:

0 of 0 files processed

Total VM size: 8,00 GB
Processed size: 0,00 KB
Avg. performance rate: 0 KB/s
Backup mode: VCB SAN

Start time: 22-4-2009 13:17:36
End time: 22-4-2009 13:24:58

Retrieving file list
WaitForVCBCatalog failed
Client error: Vcb process is terminated
Waiting for catalog data has failed.Vcb process is terminated
Waiting for catalog data has failed.

Server error: End of file

As you can see in the logging, the backup takes about 7 minutes. During this time I can see that the VM is backupped to the temp-directory in a folder veeamvcb*uid*.

Does anyone know what I have done wrong??

Thanks in advance....
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Re: Error message using VCB

Post by Ben Milligan »

joost1981:

Have you performed any configuration of VCB after installation of the framework? If your network job is functioning, and VCB is failing out, then there is a definite need to configure VCB. Are you able to run manual VCBmounter jobs successfully outside of Veeam Backup? Here also is VMware's documentation for installation of VCB: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1010092

Veeam Backup will simply use the existing framework/configuration of VCB, so once it works independently, it will also work with Veeam Backup.

If you are still having issues with working with VCB, or you have already configured it properly, don't hesitate to drop Support(at)Veeam.com a line...

Thanks!
joost1981
Influencer

Post by joost1981 »

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your response. I'm able to run a manual backup using vcbmounter. So it seems to be a problem that is Veeam related.
For now I was testing with evaluation codes, we already ordered the licenses because this is a excellent product. When we receive the licenses I will open a support call at your website.

Thanks again!

Joost.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Joost, there is no need to wait for licenses, you can open the case right now by emailing all logs from Help | Support Information to support@veeam.com. We provide assistance during evaluation period too. Thanks.
joost1981
Influencer

Post by joost1981 »

Hi Gostev,

I just mailed the information to support@veeam.com and added the log files as you suggested.
Thank you for your assistance.

Joost.
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

Just an update on this thread in case you are seeing a similar issue.

During a VCB job there is a slash added to the end of the temp directory specified in the environment variables, ie C:\Temp\, so if you see this error, it could be that your environment variables are set to a path with that slash included. It will attempt in this case to C:\temp\\
rz4ag
Lurker
Full Name: Alexander Anipkin

Post by rz4ag »

I have the same problem. Tried both 3.0 and 3.1.1 versions. Error message is the same. Backup by VCB utils finished successfully.
HP MSA2012i, ESX 3.5, VCB proxy build 150805, licensed VeemBackup.

Environment variables have not "\" at the end. VCB configured as described in the VMware's documentation for installation of VCB.

Alexander
karjona
Lurker
Full Name: Kilian Arjona

Post by karjona »

I have the same problems.
Using Veeam 3.1.1, vSphere. Can backup using vcbMounter, can't using Veeam VCB SAN mode. No slashes at the end of the variables.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Alexander and Kilian, are you using localized versions of Windows by any chance? This would result in custom localized path to temp folder, which may result in VCB integration functioning incorrectly. If this is the case, try changing your %TEMP% environment variable to point to folder like C:\TEMP.

If this is not the case, then we would need to see logs from Help | Support Information to take a look at VCB command line produced.

Thanks!
karjona
Lurker
Full Name: Kilian Arjona

Post by karjona »

Hello Gostev and thanks for your quick response.
We are indeed running a non-english version of Windows, but I have moved the TEMP and TMP directory of the users to c:\temp and we are still getting the same error.

I will email support with the full log, but I am posting here the "Error" parts of the file so we can compare with other posts:

Code: Select all

[13.08.2009 08:58:37] <01> Error  HookEnd failed   at AgentProvider.BackupClient.HookEnd()
[13.08.2009 08:58:37] <01> Error     at VeeamManager.CMethodVcbBackup.HookEnd()
[13.08.2009 08:58:37] <01> Error     at VeeamManager.CSourceVcb.AbortSession(CMethodBase method)
[13.08.2009 08:58:37] <01> Error     at VeeamManager.CSourceVcb.AbortSessionNoThrow(CMethodBase method)
[13.08.2009 08:58:37] <01> Error  Client error: ERROR: HookEnd command received
[13.08.2009 08:58:37] <01> Error  Waiting for policy data has failed.
[13.08.2009 08:58:37] <01> Error  Cannot check whether the specified file is managed by the VCB mount driver. File object path: [c:\temp\veeamvcb01e4b8d4-109b-4d57-80be-acb85597eca5\scsi0-0-0-Pingu.vmdk].
[13.08.2009 08:58:37] <01> Error  ERROR: in drv cycle:
[13.08.2009 08:58:37] <01> Error  Server error: Se ha forzado la interrupción de una conexión existente por el host remoto
I think the last phrase is the key. It says something like... "The connection was forcefully interrupted by the remote host". Let's see if we can get this sorted out :)
rz4ag
Lurker
Full Name: Alexander Anipkin

Post by rz4ag »

Thanks a lot. Now it's work for me
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by real_tarantoga »

hello again,
actually I get the error message following for only one vcb backed up vm - there are a lot oracle dbs successfully backed up in vcb mode. so, I'm sure ther's no veeam problem, but ... I couldn't find an answer in the vmware forum.
Waiting for VCB catalog
WaitForVCBCatalog failed
Client error: Vcb process is terminated
Waiting for catalog data has failed.Vcb process is terminated
Waiting for catalog data has failed.
now, I tried the freeze|thaw scripts manually - it worked. Taking a snapshot without quiescing is possible, VCB Backup using the scripts - so using "quiesce guest" - doesn't work. every time I try snapshot with quiesced mode the vmtools service is stopping.
I reinstalled the vmtools and I disabled the Sync driver. No positive result ... :(

does anybody know this issue and resolved it?
thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Have you tried to use the vStorage API job mode instead?
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast

Post by real_tarantoga »

well, I can do veeam backups san/nbd with changed block tracking. yes. But as I mentioned in another thread we need to set the oracle dbs in online backup mode. so, I have to use the vcb mode until there will be a way to launch pre|post scripts with the "veeam backup mode".

greets, r_t
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You can use pre|post scripts in vStorage API mode, they will work if do not have Veeam VSS enabled (which is not needed anyway, if you are using pre|post scripts).
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast

Post by real_tarantoga »

You mean also in vmware vstorage api mode scripts will be launched when I let "enable veeam vss" unchecked? This would be great. I thought, that only in vcb mode scripts were fired?!
real_tarantoga
Enthusiast

Post by real_tarantoga »

The error is reproducible also in vStorage API backup mode. I get the following message:
Creating snapshot CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-1101", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "True" Ein allgemeiner Systemfehler ist aufgetreten: Protocol error from VMX.
The message in vCenter is similar to the following
Create virtual machine snapshot [vm name] A general system error occurred: Protocol error from VMX.
No "human readable" details given, in the vm event log I can find the related message:
User logged event: Source: Veeam Backup Action: Job "ORGDB 1.1" Operation: Stopped Status: Failed ID: 59905918-959b-4375-b1be-e751bb32d9fb Description:
There's no description

thx, r_t
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This sounds like entirely different error though. It would be best if you work directly with our support to troubleshoot this. Sounds like there could be some issues with actual VM's configuration?