Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pizang
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Problem with backup to mounted drive (shared folder)

Post by pizang »

I have a share on a storage server. I have mounted it with

Code: Select all

net use m: \\mystorageserver\\veeambackup /persistent:yes
I use mydomain\myadminaccount for logging into RDP and running Veeam console. Veeam service also runs on this account.
When I am running jobs from within console - they run without a problem, but when they start automatically - they fail with a information that Veeam cannot access that drive.

When I log off and log in into server console I see that M: is disconnected. When I double click it, it opens without problem.

Do you have any suggestions why this problem occur?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Problem with backup on mounted share

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Miroslaw,

Your backup job fails due to this disk (mapped drive) is being disconnected. Could you please use the UNC (full network path) as your destination target for the backup job and re-run it? In this case you should create a new job, cause, unfortunately, you cannot change the destination storage at advanced job settings, right now.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Mapped drive is a "user-mode" setting (stored under HKCU), and is only available for the user who created the mapped drive, and only when the user is loggen on to the computer interactively. "Persistent" only means that the drive would automatically reconnected upon user logon.
pizang
Enthusiast

Post by pizang »

I thought so. But.. Then I got an idea.. I have created a bat file and scheduled it.

net use m: /delete
net use m: \\192.168.132.53\veeambackup /persistent:no
"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and FastSCP\VeeamManager.exe" backup afe4d211-ad97-4f51-9452-21ca2858c50f
..and it works.

BTW. It would be nice to have an ability to change destination path in a job. Why? If your drive is out of space for example.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

pizang wrote:BTW. It would be nice to have an ability to change destination path in a job. Why? If your drive is out of space for example.
Yes, we have added this ability in the upcoming release. :)
CharadeUR
Influencer
Full Name: George Streeter

[MERGED] Off Site solution needed

Post by CharadeUR »

I have attempted to use SFTP from a clients site to my site. Even though I have mapped a drive letter and created the repository successfully I get the following error when I attempt to backup.

[BACKUP] Failed to create directory 'z:\OffSiteBackup' The system cannot find the path specified. CreateDirectory(z:\OffSiteBackup) function call failed. Cannot create folder. Folder path: [z:\OffSiteBackup]. --tr:FC: Failed to create directory. Directory path: [z:\OffSiteBackup]. --tr:Failed to call DoRpc. CmdName: [FcCreateDir] inParam: [<InputArguments><DirName value="z:\OffSiteBackup" /></InputArguments>]. 
I have tested and can read and write to the z: drive. Is SFTP the wrong solution for this? Is there any other solutions to securely backup over the internet shot of creating a site to site VPN tunnel? Many of the small businesses I deal with would like to do an off site to their homes without having the expense or hassle of buying Cisco ASA firewall for their homes.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You are creating mapped drive under your user account, so of course the service account that runs the job does not "see" it.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Right, you either need a service that creates the mapped drive, or you can use psexec to create a mapped drive within the system context.
Novell2
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Zeller Werner

[MERGED] Veeam B&R 6.5 with Synology?

Post by Novell2 »

Hi
I want to integrate a Synology RS212 with vSphere 5.1 and Veeam 6.5. If I use smb I get an error. From Windows I can copy files to the external NAS Synology with no problems (Synology mapped as a drive). What is the best way? SMB or NFS? What special config do I need for optimum integration?

Thanks!
Novell2
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Two identical threads created and merged here within less than 1 hour... come on people, use search :D
CharadeUR
Influencer

Post by CharadeUR »

This was a great idea but sadly it did not solve the error. Here is the batch file I used.

net use z: /delete
"C:\Program Files\WebDrive\webdrive.exe" /s:crt
z:
dir
c:
pause

"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe" backup 6dc46c2e-0129-4251-8569-711d8e979467
It creates the z: drive and I even confirmed it was available. VBM runs the job as expected but still fails. I thought about using a link but this is on Windows 2003 server and mklink is not available on it. Any other suggestions?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: Problem with backup to mounted drive (shared folder)

Post by Gostev »

Reading through the very first recommendation above:
Vitaliy S. wrote:use the UNC (full network path) as your destination target
Mapped drives were never supported... you can try workarounds, they will work and break often times because they involve mounting scripts, but really it is much easier to just use UNC path to the shared folder instead of mapped drive.
CharadeUR
Influencer

Post by CharadeUR »

Gostev wrote:Two identical threads created and merged here within less than 1 hour... come on people, use search :D
Mine is to a SFTP and I did not find this thread when I searched but thanks for the helpful advice. :roll:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

BTW - my latest response was to the 2nd merged topic... George, I understand you are not backing up to a shared folder, and using mapped drive is your "only option", so your only choice is to get scripts working to map drive from under service account used to run jobs. Earlier Tom suggested psexec, worth trying.
CharadeUR
Influencer

Post by CharadeUR »

Gostev wrote:Reading through the very first recommendation above: Mapped drives were never supported... you can try workarounds, they will work and break often times because they involve mounting scripts, but really it is much easier to just use UNC path to the shared folder instead of mapped drive.
I am using SFTP. I'm not sure how to use UNC or if it is even possible. Maybe a better question is anyone doing this with SFTP? If not am I stuck with a site to site VPN to pull this off?
CharadeUR
Influencer

Post by CharadeUR »

Gostev wrote:BTW - my latest response was to the 2nd merged topic... George, I understand you are not backing up to shared folder, and using mapped drive is your "only option", so your only choice is to get scripts working to map drive from under service account used to run jobs. Earlier Tom suggested psexec, worth trying.
I have not used psexec and after reading about it I'm not sure exactly how to configure that. I thought a batch file like the OP had would work and it sure seems like it should. Maybe I should ask is anyone using SFTP for this? Maybe I need to rethink offsite solutions?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

It's hard to know whether SFTP would work very well or not as it's not really tuned for the I/O pattern that we're talking about here. If it behaves like a "normal" drive from an API perspective it should work with psexec. It might be easier to just run the backup locally and then copy it via SFTP with a script.

To use psexec for this case you would just create an interactive cmd.exe session as system with this:

"psexec -i -s cmd.exe"

Then run your script. This should allow the Z: drive that you are mapping with webdrive to be seen by all user context, however, I've never done it and don't know if it will help.
CharadeUR
Influencer

Post by CharadeUR »

thanks I will give that a try.
CharadeUR
Influencer

Post by CharadeUR »

Nope still does not work. Same error. It must be that webdrive does not map a drive in the same way that windows does. I could use rsync or something like that but then I have to figure out how to set up email reporting and confirm everything copied correctly. It just seems a little Rube Goldberg to do that.

Is anyone else doing this using something besides a site to site VPN?