Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mephisto
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Mephisto poa

Proxy behind firewall/NAT

Post by mephisto »

Hi there,

I'm having problems to establish what is really going wronjg with a setup where I want to backup to a offsite proxy over the WAN, both sites with firewalls in between. I think ports tcp 2500-5000 are the ones to be directed in and out of each proxy server, but so far I can't reach them in this way to deploy the proxy software. I checked the whole manua, web, google, etc... I can;t find a clear way saying you need this and that ports open on a machine to install and run the proxy server.

Could you guys assist me please? I need to ensure all of this works before taking any move ahead with my client.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Proxy behind firewall/NAT

Post by veremin »

Hi.

Your "port" problem seems pretty similar to the one that has been already discussed. Please, check this for solution, especially messages from “cristiano.cumer” regarding his firewall changes.
cristiano.cumer wrote:I did the necessary changes on our firewall for the RPC port range 1025/5000 for 2003 and 49152/65535 for 2008.
Hope you'll find it usefull.

Thanks!
mephisto
Expert

Post by mephisto »

Backup server is a Windows 7 machine, destination proxy another Windows 7 machine. Directing only 49152/65535 didn't work. Directing 1024/65535 worked, but this is a hell of a long range of ports. I'm reading some other stuff here but I don't really like the idea of such a long range of ports open. It is a massive attack surface available :/
mephisto
Expert

Post by mephisto »

Well what I ended up doing is, ports 6160 to 6162 (proxy installation, replication ans transport and 49152 to 65535 for RPC.

Worked fine, will run some backup jobs over the WAN later on to test.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, my bad. I should've mentioned it earlier.
mephisto
Expert

Post by mephisto »

Well, I'm having all sort of weird errors when trying to backup up the Vms to a remote location with a proxy. Doesn't matter if it is over a WAN, over a tunnel over WAN, it simply doesn't work.

every time I get different errors, weirdly I've never seen any network related problem with these clients in the past, all tunnels always worked fine :/
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please contact our technical support staff, I'm pretty sure they will able to solve all of your issues after reviewing the log files.