Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jshiflet
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Shiflet

Feature Request: A "Partial Failure" Status

Post by jshiflet »

We have several backup jobs with multiple VMs in them (some with as many as 12 VMs), and it can get somewhat confusing to our business owner to see that jobs have "failed" when in fact it may have just been one VM out of those 12 that failed the backup process. Any chance you might do something like a "Partial Failure" result that lets us know that not everything in the backup/replication job failed?
--
jason shiflet
systems enginner
deduplicat3d
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Corey

Re: Feature Request: A "Partial Failure" Status

Post by deduplicat3d »

I like this idea. I know that many people i work with don't understand Veeam and when they see FAILED they just assume that the whole job failed. I'm not sure how exactly this would be implemented and if it's feasible, but interesting idea.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Well, a way to do it would be to do not send out the notification on first attempt if there is a retry configured for that job, and send the notification after all retries have been tried. Sometimes happens a job fails on first attempt for several reasons, but a retry completes successfully.

Anyway, I personally like the idea of having a complete log of every attempt, it helps me to fix misconfigurations, disk exclusions (like for indipendent disks...) and other stuff. If I need to send notifications to "non-tech" people, I only give them the Enterprise MAnager daily report, where there are no details about every job but only the summary. As far as they read the "last status for every backup" and they are all succeeding, we are good to go :)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

dellock6 wrote:Well, a way to do it would be to do not send out the notification on first attempt if there is a retry configured for that job, and send the notification after all retries have been tried. Sometimes happens a job fails on first attempt for several reasons, but a retry completes successfully
...and this is exactly how we have implemented backup job notifications in Veeam ONE ;)