Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HJAdams123
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Harold Adams

Safe to reboot Veeam Backup Server With Jobs Running?

Post by HJAdams123 »

Hello Veeam Community...

I was looking around and could not find a clear answer on this. I am running Veeam B&R 6.1. I wanted to ask if its safe to reboot the Veeam backup server while jobs are running? Will it disturb jobs? My Veeam backup server is not a proxy, and not a repository. The Veeam B&R database is not local, its on a remote dedicated SQL server. So with that configuration, can the Veeam backup server be rebooted with running jobs? If a job finishes while the backup server is down, will you be notified of that jobs completion when the server is back up?

Thanks for any info you can provide...

Harold
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Safe to reboot Veeam Backup Server With Jobs Running?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Harold,

I wouldn't recommend rebooting your backup server with running backup/replication jobs, as job management and other maintenance tasks are performed by the component which is installed with Veeam backup console. I haven't tried that, but if you reboot your backup server, most likely it will affect your running jobs.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Rebooting backup management server will most certainly disrupt the running jobs.
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Post by zoltank »

Why would you reboot the server before stopping any running jobs?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Backup proxies are pretty dumb, they are nothing but data movers... all the managements tasks are done on, initiated or controlled at the backup server (vCenter enum, snapshot management, guest processing).
ortoscale
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matjaž Antloga

Post by ortoscale »

I think that's interesting question. Veeam B-R server can also be hit by reset button for example. Are previous backup jobs (restore points) completely functional after such event ? At what state job (running before reset) can be started after up Veeam B-R server is up and running?

best regards, Matjaz Antloga
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

bc2011 wrote:Are previous backup jobs (restore points) completely functional after such event
Yes, they are.
bc2011 wrote:At what state job (running before reset) can be started after up Veeam B-R server is up and running?
The job will start from the previous restore point and based on your schedule will run either full or incremental job pass.