Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bmeyer99
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Brandon Meyer

Replication job leaves VM after removed from job

Post by bmeyer99 »

I have a customer that wants to set up replication of his VMs based on his datastores. He wants to make sure that when a VM is in one datacenter it is replicated to the other data center, and if the VM gets moved to the other data center then the replication will change to replicate it to the other data center. We successfully set this up using data stores as the source of the VMs, works great. However when a VM gets moved from one data store to another Veeam ends up creating a second virtual machine replica. I would like to be able to set in the job that if a VM gets removed from the job that it deletes the replica. Currently it is just logged that the VM is not there and I should make sure this was intentional.
Brandon Meyer - ProPartner in Chicago, IL
Ex-Veeam employee
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Replication job leaves VM after removed from job

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

I think this would be very dangerous. What if the VM was accidentally deleted from vCenter? Veeam would then also then delete the replica. Sounds scary. How would you want to address this?

For now, some simple Powershell scripts could probably do what you want for this customer.
bmeyer99
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Brandon Meyer

Re: Replication job leaves VM after removed from job

Post by bmeyer99 »

Ahhh, you make a good point about the deletion, didn't think about that scenario, it is scary.

I don't think we need to worry about PowerShell at this point, they are good with manually checking if their are duplicate replicas within Veeam and then right-clicking and chooses delete. Not a huge problem, they don't move VMs between data centers often.
Brandon Meyer - ProPartner in Chicago, IL
Ex-Veeam employee