Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
avaholic
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Austin

New Veeam 6.5 install on Server 2012 HV suggestions

Post by avaholic »

After reading the Evaluation Guide and the User Guide, I wonder if I have started something I can't finish... :shock:

First my environment:

A. Hyper-V v3 Cluster - 2 physical Dell PE R720 servers with Windows Server 2012 Datacenter
B. Connected to an Equallogic PS4100 24 TB SAN.
C. Hosting 6 VMs on 5 Cluster Shared Volumes (Both VM folders and VHD folders on the CSVs)
D. 1 physical Dell PE 2900 running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This is where I was planning to install the Veeam software.
E. 2 Netgear 8TB ReadyNAS devices that I was planning to use for the backup location.

However, it appears that there are MANY components involved with the install and not just backup server software. Please give me some guidance on where each component would best be installed. Note that I can create new 2008 R2 or 2012 VMs easily.

I already have a SQL 2008 R2 server. Is it OK to have the Veeam SQL instance be on one of the SAN hosted VMs?

I don't see a simple Step by Step guide on how to install the product. Is there anything like that?

One thing I noticed in the User's Guide is this statement:

"Software providers are not suitable for backup on CSV, since a significant backup window is required to back up of VMs that reside on the same volume but are registered on different hosts. When a cluster node initiates a snapshot on a cluster-shared volume, the CSV is placed in the “Backup in Progress, Redirected Access” mode. The node that initiated backup becomes the coordinator node; other cluster nodes cannot take snapshots until the CSV returns to the direct access mode."

Please note Equallogic has yet to release the 4.5 version of the HIT kit that will give me a hardware provider that supports Server 2012. Does that mean I can't even use the software until it is released?

Overwhelmed and very confused!

Thanks,

Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: New Veeam 6.5 install on Server 2012 HV suggestions

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

That's what happens if you read User Guide before installing the product... makes extremely simple software look super hard ;)

Just go ahead and install the software on any server at all, and you will find it works out of box without any extra components to install. You will be able to tune it later (e.g. switch software VSS to hardware VSS provider, add extra components like additional backup repositories or off-host backup proxy).

Yes, you can host Veeam SQL instance on your existing SQL server.
avaholic
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Austin

Post by avaholic »

Thanks Gostev. It worked perfectly! I guess this is one of the cases that you DON'T HAVE TO RTFM! :)

One question though. I did not see a way to add a NAS device as a backup target. I set it up currently so that its using a local 1 TB disk on the backup server but would rather that all backups go to the NAS if possible.

Thanks!
Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Does it support SMB/CIFS? If yes, there is a corresponding option available in the backup repository wizard (shared folder).
jorgene
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Jorgen Eriksson

Post by jorgene »

Hi, i belive your Netgear devices support ISCSI !!
use iscsi and connect to the veeam backup server, then you expose the volume in the same way as a local disk.
The SMB performance suck big time on the netgear devices, but ISCSI works fine.