Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

Free Space Alerts - Add Time Threshold

Post by brupnick »

Good afternoon-

Is it possible to configure the free space alarms in such a way that they only alert if the free space has been below the threshold for X minutes/hours/seconds? I see that the CPU monitoring has this capability, but I couldn't find a way to add this criteria to space monitoring.

Thank you!
Brian
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Free Space Alerts - Add Time Threshold

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Brian,

There is no such setting, because free space is not a performance metric and it doesn't change that often, so adding minutes/hours/seconds tolerance period will not bring any benefits to the datastore free space motioning engine. Anyway, could you please tell me why do you need this ability?

Thanks!
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

I knew you were going to ask that. :-)

We have a handful of servers that are close to the thresholds (I'm using 10% for warning and 5% for error). If there is some activity or process that runs on this box, it might, for example, create temporary files that cause the server to drop below the threshold. However, when the process is complete and the files are erased, the free space is now above the threshold. If there was a way for me to configure the alert so that it only notifies me if/when the free space drops below the threshold for, say, an hour, that would stop the up/down messages that I get only a few minutes apart.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I'm always trying to understand what our customers and partners want to see in the product ;) Now given that your datastore usage is almost at the threshold, as a workaround I would suggest adjusting existing alarms so that they do not fire on the temporary activity.
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

It would be nice to have all the thresholds the same across the board, rather than having 95% of my servers at 10%/5%, some at 15%/10%, some at 20%/15%, ...

But if that's how I need to do it for now, that's what I'll do. Thank you!