Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JohnnyW2M
Novice
Liked: never

Migrating Veeam Server from P to V

Post by JohnnyW2M »

Hi Guys,

For the past few years I have been running my Veeam Backup and Replication from a physical blade. I want to move it into my VMWare environment and was thinking of using the VMware converter to do this. I am a little concerned because I have an iSCSI connection on that blade to my SAN, it is configured as the second drive on the machine.

Is this a good way to do this or is there a better way. If there is anything that I should be concerned about please let me know.

Thanks,

John
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Migrating Veeam Server from P to V

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John,

Not sure that P2V is the best/easiest way to move your backup server to the virtual environment. I would recommend to migrate your physical server to the virtual machine with a configuration backup/restore feature (new in 6.5). It will allow you to preserve your existing backup configuration/jobs etc. Once you do this, you can configure back the in-guest iSCSI connection to your SAN.

Thanks!
JohnnyW2M
Novice
Liked: never

Post by JohnnyW2M »

I don't have version 6.5 yet. I can still preserver the existing backup config by restoring the SQL db that Veeam uses, correct? I can just reinstall the software and point it to the restored database.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Definitely! Please search these forums for the detailed procedure on how to migrate Veeam B&R configuration database to another server.