Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Veeam One 6.5 Data Protection View

Post by zak2011 »

The Data Protection View in Veeam One 6.5 is very helpful feature and helps to be more proactive about disk space.
However does x days next to the Out of Space icon under Data Protection View - Repositories- Capacity Planning consider the dedup of an appliance or is the calculation based on Veaam's inline dedup?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam One 6.5 Data Protection View

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Arun,

No, it doesn't and I do not see why it should do it. Capacity planning engine just tracks the amount of free space left on the storage (it might be a dedupe device or not) after each backup job run. Based on these data points, capacity planning engine estimates the amount of days left till you reach the capacity of your target storage.

Thanks!
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Thanks for the quick response. I was at the Veeam 6.5 Roadshow yesterday..unfortunately couldn't get an answer to this.
I am using two repos now. One dedup and one non dedup. It would be really useful to me if i could see from Veeam One data protection view how much backup data could actually be stored on the dedup appliance just like i see it on a non dedup drive.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

zak2011 wrote:how much backup data could actually be stored on the dedup appliance
Interesting idea...but how would you calculate that?
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Its not as simple as it sounds..but you guys always come out with great stuff and am really hopeful someone at Veeam could somehow figure it out someday :-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The reason why I ask is that you HAVE TO know what data (to verify if you can dedup it or not) you're going to transfer to target storage before making any estimation. Sounds like a rocket science to me :)