Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Feature Request: Exchange Database Backup

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
I know it's a bit overwhelming to suggest something like this to be introduced for Veeam Backup & Replication, but I would like to suggest something with regards to Exchange Server Backup. I can see lots of people having Exchange Related issues when it comes to Veeam Backup & Replication mainly they are VSS issues.

Veeam has introduced the Exchange Explorer which is really fancy feature and they must be proud of it. But they have to release similar think to Backup Exchange Database as a standalone and eject the Database Backup into the VMDK file of the VM. Or develop something similar to the other third-party backup software which has the ability to select which database/Storage Group to backup. If Veeam would consider that and come-up with something similar, it would be a great great feature to protect huge product as as Exchange Server.

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Feature Request: Exchange Database Backup

Post by Gostev »

Hi Hussain, thank you for your feedback.

Since the only supported way to backup Exchange databases requires using VSS in exactly the same manner as we are doing this today, you will be affected by all the same Exchange VSS freeze issues no matter of backup type. As you can see from the corresponding thread and all the resolutions customers are using to overcome these issues, they have nothing to deal with Veeam... so, it would not matter if Veeam performed backup differently, as VSS freeze has to happen successfully first in any case.

And in all cases, generally speaking it is not in our strategic direction to perform any other backup types other than image-level backup.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Re: Feature Request: Exchange Database Backup

Post by habibalby »

Thanks Anton.