Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wimdes
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: wim desmedt

Veeam Backup Validator

Post by wimdes »

Hello,

We want to check backup archives after copying them over the network, of onto external storage.
Is it possible to check the archive without importing the backup?

Scripting import and removal afterwards could be done, but may be a bit complex if you have to take into account backup job names

regards
Wim
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Veeam Backup Validator

Post by Gostev »

Hi Wim,

Yes, this is exactly what backup validator support tool is intended for. It is located in B&R 6.5 installation directory - so just try running it from the command line, it has built-in help and is pretty self-explanatory. Let us know if you need any help or have further questions.

Thanks!
wimdes
Novice

Post by wimdes »

Gostev,

as far as i can figure out you cannot just point to a disk/network location to check an archive,
the archive has to be imported first?

regards
Wim
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, you just point the tool to a backup file on disk. No need to import or anything like that.
wimdes
Novice

Post by wimdes »

that's not working Gostev! we cannot use a path, only backup job name?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

My bad, the currently available version of the tool indeed still requires that backups are imported into B&R. Sorry for misinformation!
wimdes
Novice

Post by wimdes »

so they good news is, soon there will be a new version :)
mmbank33
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John E Wright

Post by mmbank33 »

Is the use of this tool documented anywhere. I could not get it to run from a command line.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

John, try the /? key, it provides pretty descriptive help for the tool. Feel free to ask if you still have any questions after reading it.
mmbank33
Novice

Post by mmbank33 »

i am new and trying to learn how to use everything, are you referring to using the /? key at what point?
I do not see the tool documented in the user guide. Is this tool something I can use to verify a backup without having to go through the process of setting up a virtual lab?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Backup Validator is a command line utility, so this is the command line key.
There is no public documentation, as this is a support tool.
mmbank33 wrote:Is this tool something I can use to verify a backup without having to go through the process of setting up a virtual lab?
Not really, it is not a replacement for SureBackup. All it checks for is that actual backup file was not modified/corrupted after it was created (for example, during transfer over WAN, or removable media). However, only SureBackup will help you ensure that your VMs are actually recoverable. Backup file may be totally fine, and yet contain unrecoverable VMs (e.g. some OS or application files were deleted or corrupted BEFORE the backup was taken).
mmbank33
Novice

Post by mmbank33 »

thnak you, I understand.
wimdes
Novice

Post by wimdes »

Gostev,

is there a version coming then, that doesn't need importing?

regards
Wim
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Not soon.
rei.andrea
Novice

Post by rei.andrea » 1 person likes this post

it would be possible to have a standalone tool (like extract.exe) for check integrity of .VBK full backup file that i copy from normal repository to removable HD for disaster recovering ?

my porpouse is:
- copy .VBK to removable HD
- test .VBK with Validator utility with batch script for example:
validator.exe [file.VBK]
so I'm sure that file I copied are CRC integrity (like test option in zip)

Another option that would be enough is to have an automated generated .MD5 or .SHA1 crc file for .VBK when veeam finish the backup job
[file.VBK]
[file.SHA1]
so i'ts simple to ceck the integrity of file also when i'ts copied to another location and don't need to have veeam installed
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Even if it's only meant to be used by support, and thus not officially supported, look for veeam.backup.validator.exe in the installation directory ;)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
rei.andrea
Novice

Post by rei.andrea »

dellock6 wrote:Even if it's only meant to be used by support, and thus not officially supported, look for veeam.backup.validator.exe in the installation directory ;)

Luca.
Ok i use "veeam.backup.validator.exe" from command line to check the backup and it' work :-)
I "manually corrupt a backup" [injection fake string ona vbk] and the validator returns error:

"Skipping VM 'TEST': File "TEST_1-flat.vmdk" is corrupted.
Failed to decompress LZ4 block: Incorrect decompression result or length (result: '524187', expected length: '524288')."

if I import that "manually corrupt a backup" veeam import them without error and I also able to restore a files without an error.
i presume because the files that I restore are in the block not damaged of .VBK??

from what I understand the structure of .VBK permit the restore of file present in the area not damage ?
it is correct ?

[REQUEST]
I would appreciate if there is the possibility to put in the GUI of veeam a button for [TEST BACKUP]
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

rei.andrea wrote:i presume because the files that I restore are in the block not damaged of .VBK?? from what I understand the structure of .VBK permit the restore of file present in the area not damage ?
it is correct ?
Yes, when you try to restore from a corrupted VBK file, there is still a possibility that blocks you're referring to are not damaged, so some data (VMs/files) can be restored even from this file.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I would appreciate if there is the possibility to put in the GUI of veeam a button for [TEST BACKUP].
This functionality is already there and called SureBackup. With this feature, you can test existing backups and replicas in automatic fashion.

Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also because the Validator tests the VBK file itself, not the VM. At the end, we all want to be able to restore a running VM, regardless the state of the backup file.
And, in addition, I would say surebackup is quicker to run than validator, in order to read huge VBK files it takes quite a long time. It's a great tool to have, but I would not use it in a daily routine...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
john.brodhurst

[MERGED] Check VBK consistency

Post by john.brodhurst »

Is there a tool publicly available to test for the structure of a VBK file? I have a VBK chain that I suspect is not in the best of health, but recreating it is not straightforward due to the size of the storage.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Check VBK consistency

Post by PTide »

Hi John,

Have you tried to use a built-in SureBackup?
john.brodhurst

Post by john.brodhurst »

Thanks for the reply PTide and also the merge...whoever did it. SureBackup isn't quite what I'm looking for, I think. Earlier this week the backups started failing with a Zlib decompression error but even after an active full this error persists. I'm not sure what has gone wrong but I really, really don't want to start a new chain.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello, John.
I think Pavel gave you a valuable advice, since Surebackup Recoverability Verification is what you need for your concerns. It makes a number of test to check if VMs in the backup file are healthy and recoverable. If you don't want to rely on it, you can try to make a restore manually to see if VMs are not corrupted. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

john.brodhurst wrote:even after an active full this error persists
I think I have to tell you some bad news about your backup storage then, most likely...
john.brodhurst

Post by john.brodhurst »

Gostev wrote: I think I have to tell you some bad news about your backup storage then, most likely...
Agreed. This was the conclusion I was heading towards. In a perfect world I would liked there to be a button somewhere I could press that would rescan the VBM, the VBK and the associated intermediate files and tell me what was wrong. I will keep wishing! :lol:

Thanks for the help though. I think we will need to find some way of doing a deep disk check on the storage volume. We may have sufficient storage to start a new chain but if the storage is defective then that's not going to help much.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

john.brodhurst wrote:In a perfect world I would liked there to be a button somewhere I could press that would rescan the VBM, the VBK and the associated intermediate files and tell me what was wrong.
Wouldn't the Veeam Backup Validator tool (discussed in this thread above) do this for you?
john.brodhurst

Post by john.brodhurst »

I will have to look at this in depth once I'm back in the office. I'm on the road this week so one of my esteemed colleagues has taken over on this case but the validator tool sounds like it could be useful
neilmacneil
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil MacNeil

Post by neilmacneil »

How does one retrieve the backup and point ID for use with the backup validator?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I think backup ID can be gotten via PowerShell. But I'm wondering why you need it, don't you know (can't see on a filesystem) the name of your backup?