Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rileybloke
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Phil Riley

Veeam Backup over WAN optimisation

Post by rileybloke »

Hi,

I have Veeam 6.5 installed in the production site on a Windows 7 Pro VM.
I have installed the proxy and backup repository on another Windows 7 Pro physcial box in the DR site.
Both sites are connected via WAN links. Production site is Fibre Optic 25Mb Down, 10Mb Up, but the DR site is ADSL 2Mb Down, 512K up.

I configured a backup job to backup a VM from production to the DR site using the greatest compression, and optimsed for WAN target, selecting the DR proxy and repository.
I am only seeing 718K transfer rate on the initial backup, but I cannot see any processor activity on the DR proxy/repository computer, how can I tell if the DR proxy is working or the setup I have is optimised to its full potential.
The VM is I want to backup is 220GB in size, and is taking a very long time, I attempted it over the weekend, but it failed at about 60%. When I retried the job, it started from the beginning clearing the last VBK file.
My other question, is it possible for Veeam to restart the job from where it failed (comparing blocks)? instead of starting from scratch again?

Thanks in advance :roll:
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Backup over WAN optimisation

Post by foggy »

Phil, on such a slow link data transfer won't hit the CPU much since the network is the bottleneck. Any chance you can seed that backup?
rileybloke wrote:My other question, is it possible for Veeam to restart the job from where it failed (comparing blocks)? instead of starting from scratch again?
There's no resume transfer functionality in Veeam B&R currently.
rileybloke
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Phil Riley

Post by rileybloke »

Thanks foggy, with the seeding option, do I bring the DR repository to the produciton site, action the backup locally, take the repository back to the DR site, and re-create the bacup job with the seeding option?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, in general. The exact step-by-step procedure is described in post I'm referring to above.