Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Liberty4All
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul DiPadova

Veeam install options and Remote office solution

Post by Liberty4All »

Some of this may be a question for licensing, so let me know if I should direct this to them. I was wondering if I can install multiple Veeam servers as long as I have the appropriate licenses. We have a remote office that will have a single ESX server and I would like to have a seperate install of Veeam to backup and restore at this location.

The second question I have is about future remote office configurations. Are any of you using Veeam to replicate locally between ESX server with local storage for failover? What types of configurations do you have in a remote office with only a couple of ESX servers? Thank you,

Paul
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam install options and Remote office solution

Post by Gostev »

Paul - yes, absolutely - you can install multiple Veeam servers as long as your overall license count across all installations is not exceeded.

As far as I know, two-way replication between ESX servers with local storage is exactly the approach many of our customers are using for redundancy in remote offices. This is definitely much cheaper solution than buying shared storage. It also provides much better reliability than traditional approach of using shared storage and VMware HA (High Availability) functionality:
- No single point of failure as in case of using the shared storage, with all eggs sitting in one basket. Cheaper shared storage device will not be as protected against hardware failures, as good and expensive enterprise-class SAN.
- Better data integrity because of properly quiesced, transactionally-consistent replicas - as opposed to simple crash-consistent image reboot provided by VMware HA when ESX host goes down.
Johnaldo
Influencer
Full Name: John

Post by Johnaldo »

Paul,

So you will be installing a second veeam server on the remote location ? And at this remote location you will be doing the backup with the veeam backup

And yes we are using veeam on several locations where we don't have a san environment, but only DAS on local esx boxes. In these situations we use the replication jobs.
This is working fine.

For sure in these difficult financial times it is a good cheaper way to create somekind of redundancy

John
Liberty4All
Influencer
Full Name: Paul DiPadova

Post by Liberty4All »

Yes the remote location will have a second veeam server for a single ESX host. It will mostly used to restore in a DR scenario. It may backup a few systems as well. Thank you for the replies.