Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
piaakit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: piaakit

how to directly backup image to NAS instead on local drive

Post by piaakit »

Hi all

is it possible to backup image to network storage (NAS) from veeam backup directly, when i created a new backup repository and try to map to NAS, a message pop up saying "object must be a root directory ("c:\") or a drive letter ("c") , is there any way to map to NAS ?

keith
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: how to directly backup image to NAS instead on local dri

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Keith,

Yes, If you can expose your NAS box directly via CIFS, then you can use this target for your backup jobs. Just register it as a new Veeam repository (CIFS share) and then specify this target in the backup jobs. Additionally, if your NAS supports iSCSI you can use in-guest iSCSI initiator on your backup server to connect to this device.

Thanks!
piaakit
Novice

Post by piaakit »

other than using CIFS & ISCSI , there are no solution to achieve this ? since my NAS is old model do not have such feature
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The other option would be to mount this NAS device to any unused server (Windows or Linux) and then add this server to the backup console as a repository.
piaakit
Novice

Post by piaakit »

do you mean to use any unuse server to map NAS Device as network drive such as M drive, & add this server to the backup console as a repository ? any guide show how to add this server to backup console as a repository ?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

piaakit wrote:other than using CIFS & ISCSI , there are no solution to achieve this ? since my NAS is old model do not have such feature
How is it a NAS if it doesn't offer a standard SMB Windows share (CIFS is just a specific implementation of the SMB protocol). If you can configure a share and access it from Windows then you should be able to use the CIFS/SMB option when adding the repository.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

piaakit wrote:do you mean to use any unuse server to map NAS Device as network drive such as M drive, & add this server to the backup console as a repository ?
Correct.
piaakit wrote:any guide show how to add this server to backup console as a repository ?
You just add it as a common Windows-based repository. The process is described in the user guide in detail.
piaakit
Novice

Post by piaakit »

i have create a folder in NAS, and a window server already mapped drive to the NAS call "M" drive, and i create a backup repository and "location path to folder" i browse and choose M drive, a message pop up saying "object must be a root directory ("c:\") or a drive letter ("c"), is there any steps that i miss to do ?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Don't create the repository this way. When you go to add a repository, select Shared folder and on the next screen you can enter the UNC path or simply browse to the share. There's even an option for alternate credentials if required. You cannot used mapped drives because mapped drives are part of the user profile and Veeam runs as a service so cannot see these mapped drives, but by using the Shared folder option you can backup to any share directly from Veeam without mapping a drive at all.
piaakit
Novice

Post by piaakit »

oh yes i found the Shared folder option in backup repository, and use the UNC path to point to the backup location in NAS, and i will try to backup see whether is ok, Thx