Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ritusr
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan-Thore Solem

Backup Windows Server 2008 R2 VM

Post by ritusr »

Hi,

My first post here, been a lurker for a while. Impressed with Gostev's level of support 8)

I have tried upgrading a couple of my VM lab-servers to 2008 R2 for testing. Upgrade and lab-operation running smoothly!
However, testing Veeam backup (3.1.1, VCB mode) of these upgraded servers fails.
Is this expected at this point (re. Veeam version), and if so when will Veeam backup be compatible with 2008 R2?

(Error message: Releasing VM files Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze: guest OS "unknownGuest" is not supported.)

JT
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Windows Server 2008 R2 VM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jan-Thore,

Welcome to Veeam community! As for our our system requirements, we do not currently support Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7. We will support both OS with Backup 4.0 release, which should happen before official public release of these operating systems (October 22nd).

Also could you please check what guest OS do you see using Managed Object Browser for that VM? If you need instructions of how to do that, please feel free to email us to support@veeam.com

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

The main issue here is that VMware does not support Windows Server 2008 R2 yet, which is why VMware Tools return "unknownGuest" error, and this is what make Veeam VSS integration fail.
ritusr
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan-Thore Solem

Post by ritusr »

Gostev wrote:The main issue here is that VMware does not support Windows Server 2008 R2 yet, which is why VMware Tools return "unknownGuest" error, and this is what make Veeam VSS integration fail.
Thanks guys, as expected! I'll just keep testing and learning R2, and await your gloriuos new app in a couple of months :)

JT