Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
trudesea
Influencer
Liked: never

Snapshot Size Alarm does not match Active VM snapshot size

Post by trudesea »

Hi,

I've found that the Snapshot Alarm size Alarm is reporting higher snapshot size data than what is reported in the Top N Active VM snapshot size report.

For instance:

If I set the snapshot size alarm to absolute and set a value of like 30GB for warning and 40GB for error. The alarm will trigger and state in the data the size is 43GB. Ok, so far works as expected.

But.

In the report, it says the snapshot size is 35.70GB and if I look at the actual delta files, this is correct. Across the board the alarm is stating a good bit higher snapshot size, sometimes off by as much as 50GB (too high)

How specifically does the alarm determine the size of the snapshot? ... I'm wondering if it's not the way we have things configured as we do have a third party system that creates the VMs and if I knew how it determined the size I might be able to figure it out.

Thanks,
Tim
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Snapshot Size Alarm does not match Active VM snapshot si

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tim, can you please tell me what version of Veeam ONE you are currently using, the latest one (v6.5)?
trudesea
Influencer

Post by trudesea »

Hi,

Just purchased and installed less than one month ago.

From Help -> About on the monitor client: 6.0.0.520

Thanks,
Tim
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ah...ok, that explains why you have different values in the report and alarm details. In Veeam ONE v6 this alarm was monitoring the total size of the entire snapshot tree and not the latest snapshot created on the VM. Based on the feedback from our existing customers we have changed alarm's logic in v 6.5, so now it is monitoring the latest (the most recent) snapshot in the snapshot tree.

Please upgrade to our latest version to have the same size reported in the alarm details and in the corresponding snapshot report. Thanks!
trudesea
Influencer

Post by trudesea »

Ok, will do thank you.
trudesea
Influencer

Post by trudesea »

Hi,

I just upgraded to 6.5 and I'm seeing the same issue. For example one VM I am looking at says it is 39GB in the alerts data, but the reporter shows 2.9GB which matches the size of the delta files.

What else can I look at?

Thanks,
Tim
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm...can you please open a support ticket, so I could forward this request to our R&D team?