Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Amer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Amir Abid

Purge VEEAM SQL Database entries

Post by Amer »

Hi Guys:
I have VEEAM Backup & Replication running happily no issues :)
We backup all our servers to NAS unit and also it holds the replicas for our DR setup,
The only issue we have that after an unplanned accident (Someone deleted some VEEAM backup files directly from NAS unit), luckily it was old files.
When we click on restore all the Rollback's are there , but when we click on the one which we believe it is related to deleted file , VEEAM complain and throw an error that it can't find the required file which we understands why :(

My question is , is there anyway that we can tell VEEAM that this file is not there any more so the the restore windows will all have only valid list
e.g. can this be cleaned from within VEEAM or from SQL DB or whatever tool without recreating the job?

Regards
Amer
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Purge VEEAM SQL Database entries

Post by Gostev »

Hi Amir, retention policy will clean up database records automatically, so you can just leave it there as is, and it will "heal" itself with time. No big deal to delete those backup files manually. Thanks.
Amer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Amir Abid

Post by Amer »

Hi Gostev:
Thanks for quick reply, so if I change my restore points in the backup from 30 to 25 (for example) , will that fix it ?
Regards
Amer
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, at the end of the next job run.
dspjones
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Post by dspjones »

This is not happening in my case.... Example:

We had backup and replication jobs set like so: (all backup jobs had 8 day retention, rep jobs had 2 day retention)

Backup - Webservers
Backup - Appservers
Backup - MngServer
Backup - Infrastructure

Replication - Webservers
Replication - Appservers
Replication - MngServer
Replication - Infrastructure

An event occurred (or several events) on the same day that caused us to have network outage, datastore failure of our Nas where the backups are stored and corruption on our remote nas where replicas go. After alot of hair pulling and sweating, we got everything back up or so we thought. Veeam backups ran the next day, and 90% of them failed with some of the most cryptic error messages. Long story short we were told to delete those jobs and start again. The replicas also failed because they could not find some file or config info in the VM-xxxxxx replica folders. Again, long story short - rebuild the jobs. So, now we have the following:

Backup - ProdServers
Backup - Exchange
Backup - DevServs

(I have not recreated the replicas yet).

The cool thing is that we have fewer jobs but the benefits of dedupe are very apparent now. However, I installed 6.5 today and wanted to try out the new exchange restore features and when doing so according to the manual I began the process to set everything up and during the step where you prep the .edb file for restore I open the Microsoft Exchange Item Level Restore wizard to find a long list of Items to restore from. However only 3 of them are valid. The rest are from 11/9/2012 - WELL past the 8 day retention period I would expect for them to have been purged. So is there a way to purge all of this data manually from the database or am I stuck with it forever?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please tell me what backup mode have you selected for your backup jobs? Forward Incremental or Reversed?
dspjones
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Post by dspjones »

It was changed a few times from reverse incremental and incremental and back to reverse, HOWEVER, that said.... As soon as I got done submitting this post I clicked on BACKUP and what would show up that has not shown up before, but a list of all of the phantom backups that I did not see before. I was able to highlight them all and select remove from backup. Same thing for replications. I tell you as sure as I know my own name, I was not able to see ANY of that stuff until I upgraded to 6.5. Perhaps the db upgrade "fixed" something that was preventing me from seeing them. But, all is right with the veeam world now.