Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rileybloke
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Phil Riley

VM performance issue using VM Appliance mode

Post by rileybloke »

Hi,

I had Veeam 6.1 running replication jobs over the network(transport), but one of the VM's that host an Oracle database was dropping network connection, and clients were loosing their connections to the Oracle server.
I decided to upgade to 6.5 and setup from scratch again, this time using the Virtual Appliance transport mode for the replication job, but the situation has gone worse, the clients now see their connections running very slow and sometime disconnect.

I was hoping for an improvement, does anyone have any suggestions?
I prefer not to use Direct SAN transport as mounting the VMFS volumes through to the VM running Veeam on Windows 2008 is too dangerous (automount disabled or not) :wink:

Im also seeing replica snapshots taking over 30 mins to delete during replica jobs of an Exchange 2007 VM. Only happens on with Exchange?? Any ideas?

Thanks guys ;-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM performance issue using VM Appliance mode

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Phil,

How much time does it take to commit the snapshot manually (keep the snapshot open for the same your job runs and then delete it)?

Thanks!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Phil, Exchange Servers (2010 even more) are hard to manage with VADP libraries, since their way to write on disk create large changes on VMDK files even if the real changes are small. I've always seen even small exchange servers having long commit times.
Remember, snapshots activities are managed and executed by vCenter and the ESXi server, Veeam only requires vCenter to do these operations and waits for the results,Vitaliy's suggestion about the tests is aimed at showing you this.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
andersonts
Veteran
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Tim Anderson

Post by andersonts »

From what you are describing you should check the IO on the Exchange LUN to make sure that you aren't seeing latency there for starters. Also when you are talking about using network mode and the server dropping pings this sounds like you could have some contention on the host for network resources. Both of these can be fixed and could help you out. As the other folks mentioned these are likely not Veeam issues but issues at the infrastructure level. If you don't have a monitoring tool you can download the free version of Veeam ONE and use it to do real time troubleshooting or see what you can gather from vCenter console directly. You might also want to open a support case as well.
rileybloke
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Phil Riley

Post by rileybloke »

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Ill monitor the situation.