Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lsittech
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephen Shortland

SAN Partitioning

Post by lsittech »

Hi All,

New to Veeam so any advise would be great.

We have:

2 x Dell R620 in a cluster connected to MD3200i (where we keep the guest VM's) which is connected to a MD1200 with 20TB disks (used solely to hold Veeam backups)
All are connected via iSCSI onto 2 x PowerConnect 6226

What i would like to know:

Veeam can only see 2TB Partitions. So i have multiple 2TB drives with different guest backups going to different drives. Can I make it use one single big disk?

Also, what is the best way to partition this 20TB SAN so make use or surebackup?

I was thinking 2 x partitions, 1 which is 15TB for backups and then 1 5TB to use for SureBackup.

Apologies if this is simple question but Veeam and VMWare are very new to our company and we are trying to figure it all out as best we can.

Thanks in advance
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: SAN Partitioning

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Stephen, is not correct Veeam can only see 2TB partition. Is it true indeed Veeam can only see what the underlying Windows server it's installed on can see. So if you are using MBR partitioning, that is correct you can only use local disks (regardless they are really local or mounted via a remote storage) up to 2 Tb. If you are using at least Windows 2008, you can use GPT partitioning and use a single partition up to 64 Tb.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
lsittech
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephen Shortland

Re: SAN Partitioning

Post by lsittech »

Thanks for that Luca. We are on Windows Server 2008 R2 but have never had the need for GPT Partitioning. We will look into that right away.

Thanks again.