Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

CBT for VM in Multiple Jobs

Post by brupnick »

Good morning-

I have a VM that is backed up by two separate jobs (different targets, different retention periods, etc). Job A runs a full on the first Friday of the month and traditional incrementals each weekday thereafter. Job B is only run on the first Sunday of the month and does a full every time. I'd really like to change Job B to something different, either reversed incrementals or synthetic fulls (input on this would also be welcomed). If I have the same VM in both jobs, how, if at all, will that affect CBT for the VM?

Thank you!
Brian
andersonts
Veteran
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Tim Anderson

Re: CBT for VM in Multiple Jobs

Post by andersonts »

The CBT file is not modified by Veeam so each job can use it to capture only the changes without impacting the other job.
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

Thanks Tim. Is VBR able to differentiate the changes between jobs? That is, Job A runs nightly and Job B runs monthly. Is Job B able to know that it should back up a month's worth of changes while Job A only a day's?
andersonts
Veteran
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Tim Anderson

Post by andersonts »

Yep as long as nothing has happened to reset CBT in the month between backups.
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

Awesome. Thanks Tim!

Do you have any recommendations on reversed incrementals vs. synthetic fulls? These are strictly disk-based backups with no requirement to go to tape. The only reason that I don't run traditional incrementals is because I need to be able to delete the oldest points in order to make room if/when necessary.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

brupnick wrote:The only reason that I don't run traditional incrementals is because I need to be able to delete the oldest points in order to make room if/when necessary...

...I need to be able to delete the oldest points in order to make room if/when necessary.
Given all these requirements, I would suggest using reversed incremental backup mode, as it will give you these benefits:

a. ability to delete the oldest restore points manually
b. latest VBK file will always contain the most recent image of your backed up VMs
c. only one full backup (VBK file) will be stored on the target storage at a time
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

Thanks Vitaliy; this does seem to address all of my requirements. Are there any issues if I switch my job that is currently running fulls every run to reversed incrementals?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No issues at all, the subsequent backup job run will be will be incremental, so feel free to proceed with this option.