Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gelkins
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Elkins

Releasing VM files CreateSnapshot error

Post by gelkins »

a quiesced snapshot failed because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine.

I understand the semantics of the error message. It is not clear to me how the snapshot operation exceeeded the time with out user intervention.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Releasing VM files CreateSnapshot error

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Gary,

This error states that when you freeze your VM there is a timeout for holding VM in a freezed state, and if the operation of creating the snapshot exceeds this timeout due to some reasons (latency issues, VC/ESX host high load e.t.c), then VM unfreezes and the snaphost fails.

To help you in resolving this can you tell me please do you experience this issue everytime or it happens randomly when you run the job? Also it'll be great to hear how you've configured your jobs (do you have VC or ESX connections only), as well as how long does it take to make a snapshot manually for the VM with this issue?

Thank you.
gelkins
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Elkins

Re: Releasing VM files CreateSnapshot error

Post by gelkins »

Backup completed with no problems last night. This site experienced a building power fail recently; I believe the timeout problem might have been related to this. I will monitor this system and update this entry.