Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
daniflexx
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dani Mora

Problem replicating SQLServers with Mirroring in place

Post by daniflexx »

Hello,

I'm trying to replicate two MSSQL Servers that have mirrored databases. Since the Veaam replication does one server and then the other one there is no way to ensure that the replica is consistent between them.

I tried to recover the replicated servers in a lab but the mirroing is always broken in the recovered machines. The only way that it works is stoping the servers before replicating them.

Is there any strategy to clone servers that have to be replicated at the same time?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Problem replicating SQLServers with Mirroring in place

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dani,

Since creating VM snapshots at the same time currently is not technically possible, you should either use per-freeze/post-thaw scripts to start/stop SQL Server services or try to adjust SQL mirroring timeout values (if possible) and schedule these replication jobs to start processing these VMs approximately at the same time.

Thank you.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Problem replicating SQLServers with Mirroring in place

Post by dellock6 »

Hi, even if it's far from beeing a perfect solution, I did this for a customer of mine to snapshots two VMs who needed to be copied at the same time: just created two jobs, scheduled them to start at the same time, and to be sure no other jobs would fill the proxy queue and delay the start, we deployed a dedicated new proxy, assigned only this two jobs to it, excluded all other jobs (there are different "tricks" to do this), and verified the proxy has cuncurrency set to two so it can start both jobs together.
Hope this helps...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1