Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ACFPower
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bill Hogan

Simple Backup - Simple Solution??

Post by ACFPower »

I have purchased Veeam Backup and Replication for VM/Hyper-V and I am starting with a really simple start-up and backup requirements. I have one one server (2008 R2) with two hyper-v servers (SQL & Terminal Server). I am not going to create a replication server at this time (maybe in the future). I basically just want to install the Veeam software and backup the VM's to a brand new TeraStorage device. In the future as we expand the server's roles, replication might make sense, but for now I want to be able to backup the VM's in the best possible way using the base server (fast dual process with 32GB memory). I realize that recovery will take awhile with failure, but is a brand new enterprise server, SAS RAID with two disk fail-over and will be backed up to another device with two disk SAS RAID fail-over. We are a small company so we can the function for a few hours (24/7 4-Hour Repair Service) while we rebuild the server and install the OS if necessary.

Everything I read on the installation has not dealt with a simple straight forward installation for a small environment. So, can anyone point me in the right direction for this one server backup solution?

Any help is appreciated in advance. Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Simple Backup - Simple Solution??

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

ACFPower wrote:So, can anyone point me in the right direction for this one server backup solution?
Just install a Veeam B&R server, add your Hyper-V host, create a repository on your TeraStorage device (or use the default repository that will be created on your backup server) and then run your backup jobs! ;)

Not sure if you've seen it, but it might be worth checking our Evaluators Guide (page 12) for a step-by-step deployment guidelines.
ACFPower
Novice

Post by ACFPower »

Thank you for your answer. However, I have three followup questions. I would assume that I am installing the Veeam B&R server on the Hyper V host and it will have two roles.

For recovery purposes under this simple setup:
How much of the Hyper V host gets backed up (will I have to do a complete rebuild or does the registry, settings and applications get backed up)?
Will I be able to do incremental backup and recovery of single/multiple files this way?
Can I make VM Snapshots for emergency recovery before I do the backups?

I think I understand the implications but I want to make sure. I appreciate any response and would like to thank any repliers in advance. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

1. Veeam B&R does not backup Hyper-V hosts, you can only backup VMs running on your Hyper-V hosts.
2. Once you do a full VM backup, all subsequent job runs will be incremental. As regards our restore capabilities, then you can restore full VM images, VM files and VM Guest OS files with Veeam.
3. Yes, you can, but be aware that VM snapshot can be consolidated to its parent virtual disk only after performing a full VM power off cycle. This behavior is true only for Hyper-V hosts based on Windows Sever 2008R2.
ACFPower
Novice

Post by ACFPower »

Thanks again. The server is not in production (database software is still being implemented) so shutting down the VMs for a snapshot should not be a problem. I guess I will need to figure out a way of creating a drive image of the Hyper V host using different software. But would like to thank you and think I have a plan for going forward.