Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
scottstabb
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Stabb

Job for 13 months off-site retention

Post by scottstabb »

Finally getting around to setting up an off site job and need some guidance.

The object is to backup to CloudArray, transfer small chunks of data (We only have 6mb upload pipe) have about 13 months for retention and to have something recent for DR. For retention I only need to be able to go back on a monthly basis.

MY BACKUP JOB in order of setting it up.

Virtual Machines Tab...
All Virtual Machines selected (1.3 TB total)
Storage Tab...
Backup Proxy is automatic (We only have 1)
Backup repository is Cloud Array of course
Restore points to Keep on Disk... This is where I am very confused. Do I need 336 (56 weeks x 6 days a week) restore points if I schedule the backup daily and need 13 months? what happens to the incremental backup after a synthetic full is created.
Storage Tab Advanced...
Incremental is checked (per Twin Strata document)
Enable synthetic fulls is checked (Days = Sunday) (Per Twin Strata document)
Transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks is NOT checked. (but I would like to know what this does exactly)
Compression = Extreme and optimize for WAN target is selected. (trying to get as small of Jobs a possible)
Guest Processing Tab...
Enable application-aware imaging processing is checked
Enable guest file system indexing is NOT checked ( we don't have to restore often so I didn't think i needed it)
Schedule Tab...
Daily at 11 PM on days Monday through Saturday. (the synthetic full will run on Sunday)

I also have a local backup backup job going to a NAS that gives me daily backups for 14 days. I am probably going to increase that to 30 or 45 since I just increased the size of my NAS that I am using to store them. My NAS is 13 TB
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Job for 13 months off-site retention

Post by foggy »

scottstabb wrote:Restore points to Keep on Disk... This is where I am very confused. Do I need 336 (56 weeks x 6 days a week) restore points if I schedule the backup daily and need 13 months?
Am I understanding you right, that you need daily backups within the last month + 13 monthly backup files (without daily backups for the months except the last one)? In this case you should create two jobs with different retention settings or somehow offload monthly backups outside the product. Here is the existing topic for more details.
scottstabb wrote:what happens to the incremental backup after a synthetic full is created.
Synthetic full resets the chain of increments. All subsequent increments use the created synthetic full backup as a new starting point.
scottstabb wrote:Transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks is NOT checked. (but I would like to know what this does exactly
Please review the corresponding user guide section (p.29) for detailed description.