Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ACFPower
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bill Hogan

Backup Recommendation/One Server with 2 Hyper Vs

Post by ACFPower »

The more I read the more confused I get. I need a solution for a small shop that has one host server with AD role and two Hyper Vs. Below is what I have and need a recommendation.

1. T620 Server with Dual Processor
2. Two Veeam BU & Recovery Licenses (dual processor)
3. Physical Windows Server 2012 downgraded to Windows Server 2008 R2
a. Domain Controller
b. AD DS
c. Hyper V Host
4. Two Hyper V Servers
a. SQL Server
b. Terminal Server
5. TeraStation 5400D
a. A member on the domain
b. Share is visible to backup account.

Basically the Hyper V host has all the roles for Active Directory Services / DNS along with being a Hyper V host (a one server shop). I know I can install the Veeam B&R server, add my Hyper-V host, use the repository on my TeraStation and run backup jobs. However, if the host computer crashes I lose my Active Directory, DNS, etc... and recovery will be a mess. What is the most practical way for a small shop to prepare for catastrophic event? Should I use Windows Backup for the AD/Hyper V host and Veeam for my virtuals? Should I purchase another Veeam product? Need a good solution before the server goes live and any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Recommendation/One Server with 2 Hyper Vs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ACFPower wrote:However, if the host computer crashes I lose my Active Directory, DNS, etc...
Can you please tell me if there is any reason why you do not want to virtualize all your production-critical services and then use Veeam B&R to back them up?