helpdeskuk
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Thomas

Replication with no target source

Post by helpdeskuk »

Hi,

Veeam 6.5.0.109 (64bit)

I am revisiting our DR and would like some advice from those in the know. Currently we have 3 replication jobs running every Saturday for our critical servers. 1for the Veeam server (VM), 1 for our Oracle server which goes to a different datastore due to size limitations and the main one which replicates a further 11 servers. These replicate from our site (UK) to our sister company's SAN in France. They complete without error and comfortably in Saturday's maintenance window. However all three have not been changed since the original seeding and still have the "Low Connection bandwidth" option ticked.

I removed this option and the WAN link between our sites became saturated quickly when ran (looked to be going quick though before I had to stop it!). I assume traffic throttling wont help as there is no target proxy; so I set it back as low connection bandwidth as before. - can someone confirm this?

We have two source proxies and NO target proxy. Things the way they are at the moment it may be difficult to set up a target proxy at France's site. I would like to be fully prepared before requesting this be setup on one of their servers. So my question is, other then the speed of the replication job, are there other issues I should be concerned about with no target proxy. Especially with a mind to fail over/fail back should we actually have to invoke DR?
Many Thanks,

Dave
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication with no target source

Post by foggy »

David, not sure why clearing the "Low connection bandwidth" check box resulted in such behavior, this check box takes effect only once and then is simply ignored, to my understanding.

Regarding the proxy servers, it is always preferable to have them in both locations in case of WAN replication so that only compressed traffic is transferred between the sites (this is also crucial for failback operation).
helpdeskuk
Novice

Post by helpdeskuk »

Thanks for your reply. Am I right in assuming that setting traffic throttling will not have an effect without a target proxy setup? Also without a target proxy will failback not be possible?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

helpdeskuk wrote:Am I right in assuming that setting traffic throttling will not have an effect without a target proxy setup?
Yep,you're completely right.

Network traffic throttling rules are enforced globally, at the level of the Veeam Backup server. Every throttling rule limits the maximum throughput of traffic going between two backup proxies (in case of replication), between a backup proxy and a repository (in case of backup), or between a backup proxy and a proxying Windows server (in case of backup to an SMB share).

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, traffic throttling works between Veeam data mover agents, which are deployed on the proxy servers in case of replication.
Failback will be possible but will take much more time to occur without proxies on both ends.
helpdeskuk
Novice

Post by helpdeskuk »

Thank you both for your helpful and quick responses. France have now agreed to let me set up a target proxy server at there end. The server in question is their own Veeam server (VM again); is there a problem to deploying the proxy role to a server with Veeam already installed (as the agent is already running?), would I have to search for it in someway or would I be better off to pick another server to avoid conflicts?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

No problems, another agent instance will be installed by your Veeam server on that remote server. Just be noted, that the number of concurrent tasks per proxy is counted within each backup server independently.