Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
clicker666
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tony Cimello

VMware Server 2 to ESXI 5

Post by clicker666 »

I feel comfortable enough with ESXi now that I'm ready to make the move from server 2. I have one SBS 2003 VM, two 2003 server vms, and one 2008 vm. I ran a test conversion with the converter (hot) on the 2008 server (not a mission critical machine, so it could suffer some downtime). There were no real issues with the conversion other than it took a while. I could do this while the other machines are running too, but I'm not sure how to deal with incremental changes, and how long it will take to move the 150 GB SBS server.

Does the Veeam backup tool offer anything to assist in this process? Is there an easy way to ensure the incremental changes between the running machines and the converted images? I know that after I convert everything onto my temp esxi machine I'll still have to move everything back to the main server again.

Any advice?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VMware Server 2 to ESXI 5

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tony,

Since Veeam B&R doesn't support VMware Server 2, you should continue using the conversion tool you have now. After you migrate your VMs to a temporary ESX(i) server, then you can deploy Veeam B&R and use migration jobs to move your VMs to production hosts.

Thanks!