Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cstemaly
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

When to re-add server to job (like after vConverter resize)

Post by cstemaly »

After I use vConverter to resize a VMware VM, during which I copy the server to a new folder, I have always had to remove and then re-add the server to Veeam. I am getting ready to use storage migration to fix some folders that are named inconsistently with the VM, and I have two questions:

1. What operations require me to remove and then add back a server? Is Veeam looking at the datastore folder name, or is there anything else?
2. I can't believe I've never checked this before, but when I remove/re-add the VM in Veeam, does it preserve my old restore points or is it a "new" server and thus will start from scratch? -I'm using Reverse Incremental backups with CBT enabled.

Thanks people!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: When to re-add server to job (like after vConverter resi

Post by foggy »

1. Veeam B&R tracks VMs by their unique moref ID (assigned by vCenter). Every VM re-registeration in the virtual infrastructure changes this identifier causing the VM to be treated as a new VM.
http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2011/11/ ... hange.html

2. Old restore points are preserved, to continue running your jobs and avoid full job run, you should re-add the VM to the job and map it to the existing backup/replica.
cstemaly
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: When to re-add server to job (like after vConverter resi

Post by cstemaly »

Ah thanks for the link, foggy. That sheds some light on things.