Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
danielec
Novice
Liked: never

Preparing replica VM Error: Replica VM is running

Post by danielec »

Preparing replica VM Error: Replica VM is running

I have a replica job that was running without any problem.
Then I have made a clone of the replica-vm on the DR site and boot the VM. After that the replica job failed with this message: "Preparing replica VM Error: Replica VM is running".

Since I don't want to make another replica-job, what can I do to solve this issue ? (N.B. The cloned-replica-vm is UP&Running and I can't remove it).
I have tried to remove the vm-replica (delete from inventory) but I had the same error message.

Thank you!

Daniele
--
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Preparing replica VM Error: Replica VM is running

Post by Vitaliy S. »

After adding your VM replica back to the inventory, try to map your replication job to this newly registered VM, should do the trick.
danielec
Novice

Post by danielec »

Vitaliy S. wrote:After adding your VM replica back to the inventory, try to map your replication job to this newly registered VM, should do the trick.
As I said in the first post, I had completely delete (delete from disk) the replica vm. I can't add back the replica-vm in the DR site.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

It is not completely clear what you were trying to perform, could you please describe your initial task?

If everything is ok with the original VM and you just want to continue running its replication, you need to power off the cloned replica VM as replication cannot be performed when replica is in the running state.
danielec
Novice

Post by danielec »

1) Replica job of VM: A to DR site -> A_replica
2) On VMWare clone: A_replica -> B_test
3) Power on: B_test
4) Replica Job (A -> A_replica): failed
5) delete from disk/inventory VM: A_replica
6) Replica Job (A -> A_replica) failed

I'cant power-off/delete B_test and I want, if possible, to keep my existing replica-job since I have, in the same job, 6 VM replicated on the DR site.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I guess you've somehow assigned the replica VM moref ID to the B_test VM while cloning it. Well, you could clone the B_test VM once more to some A_replica_new VM, keep it powered off, and then map the job to that A_replica_new VM. This will allow to continue replication without causing the full job run while leaving the B_test VM available for testing.
derda05
Novice

[MERGED] : Clone Veeam Replica

Post by derda05 »

Hello,

we have the follwing problem:
If we clone (with VMware) a Veeam Replica and start the the clone, the next Replication Job fails with:
01.03.2013 08:29:59 :: Preparing replica VM Error: Replica VM is running
01.03.2013 08:30:08 :: Error: Replica VM is running
This Error can be reproduced on other Replicas.

What can we do?

Thank you very much.

Dennis

Veeam B&R 6.5 newest Patchlevel
VirtualCenter 4.1 345043
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 2 people like this post

Veeam replicas include a couple of custom parameters in the VM configuration which are used to help Veeam identify the replica. When you clone a replica, the custom parameter is also cloned to this new VM and this can confuse Veeam as it misidentifies which VM is the replica.

After you clone a Veeam replica, choose "Edit Settings" on the clone VM, select the "Options" tab and then "General", then click the "Configuration" button in the "Configuration Parameters" section. Sort parameters by name, and you should see a "VeeamRepliaSummary" which contains a huge string of XML data. Simply wipe out this information so that the value is blank (you can also clear any other custom parameters that start with "Veeam*" just to be sure), click OK and now your replica job should work again.