Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LynnJ57
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lynn Johnson

Understanding 6.5's support for dynamic disks???

Post by LynnJ57 »

Hi there,

I was super happy to see this feature was added in 6.5. Since I'm relatively new to VEEAM, maybe someone can help me better understand how this function works. In particular, I'm wondering if this will make it possible to quickly complete incremental backups of large dynamic guest disks(ie - 2 or more 1.98TB vmdk's used in a spanned disk on a guest). To give more background, the environment I'm supporting has a single server with a lot of local storage, and one VM in particular has a need to host a large single volume, so I spanned multiple 1.98TB vmdk's together. Perhaps there is a better way to do this with local storage(believe me, I would have preferred a SAN, but cost is an issue). That being said, I would like to know if I should expect that v6.5 will be able to quickly backup this particular VM, or if I should consider marking those VMDK's independent and backup that volume with a 3rd party tool like Backup Exec at a file level? Thanks for your help - I need it!

Lynn
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Understanding 6.5's support for dynamic disks???

Post by tsightler » 2 people like this post

It was always possible to backup such configurations (although, with 1.98TB, you'll need to be careful with snapshots), and entire VM restores with this setup would work as well, however, it wasn't possible to use the file level recovery features to restore guest files on such a volume (it was possible to do so using U-AIR, but this was more cumbersome). With 6.5, we can not only backup such systems, but all file level recovery features also work correctly with such volumes so restores are as easy as any other volume.
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

Post by mschlott »

Can 6.5 do Windows File level restore on backups that were created with 6.1? If I have a full and some incrementals that were created with 6.1 and I continue incrementals with 6.5, would I be able to do a windows file level restore using these backups?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes.