Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
will906617
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Will

Have anyone tried direct file restore in v6.5

Post by will906617 »

Hi,

Have anyone tried this yet? I cant seem to find this feature mentioned on v6.5.

In the file explorer from FLR appliance, I can only copy files to a network location just as v6. Is this only available to ent version? We are using std version btw.

Thanks,
Will
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Have anyone tried direct file restore in v6.5

Post by veremin »

In case of FLR-appliance (Multi-OS File-Level Recovery) in both of VB&R editions you can only use “Copy-to” option.

In case of Windows FLR, having either of VB&R editions allows you to restore files to the original location without any issues.

Limitation is related only to "1-Click File Restore" option. Enterprise Edition includes the ability to restore Windows guest files directly to their original location (virtual machine) from guest file search results in web-based Veeam Enterprise Manager.

Thanks.
will906617
Novice

Post by will906617 »

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the explanation. I guess following mentioned in "What's new in v6.5" applies only to Windows FLR NOT to multi-OS FLR inc. linux?

File-level restore
• Direct file restore. When restoring a guest file back to its original location from the backup console
(Backup Browser), perform the restore with a single click. You no longer need to supply destination
information, and Veeam Backup & Replication does not have to stage the file locally on a backup server
or on a network share.

I only did a few windows FLR in v6 (luckily havent had too much issue ;). I remembered I had to do the staging (copied to somewhere then get it to VM to restore).

Thanks,
Will
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

will906617 wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I guess following mentioned in "What's new in v6.5" applies only to Windows FLR NOT to multi-OS FLR inc. linux?
Yes, you’re right in your assumption. Such functionality only has to do with Windows FLR. While browsing the content of backup of Windows-based VM you’ll see “Restore” option along with “Copy-to”.

Thanks.
will906617
Novice

Post by will906617 »

Thanks for clearing this up, Vladimir. It is bit disappointing that veeam is not so clear about the limitation here as this feature is same as before so shouldnt be seen as "new". Guess bottom line is that this is a marketing material so little bit of exaggeration. Hoping to see this available for linux soon.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Direct File Restore from backup browser is indeed new feature, as it did not exist prior to 6.5.
1-Click File Restore from web UI is existing feature that was added back in 6.0.

These are two absolutely different features.