Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cyberwarrior101
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ken White

Veeam U-AIR Exchange/SQL

Post by cyberwarrior101 »

So we're looking to install U-AIR for Exchange and SQL to backup/restore individual items. During the installation of the plug in, it asks for the Enterprise Manager I/P .. We purchased B&R although I dont seem to see any "enterprise manager" installation anywhere.. Am I just missing something here? Where do we get EM? I assumed it was just the server hositng Veeam B&R although when we try to install the plugins on that server it just says cant connect to ENTERPRISE MANAGER.. There seem to be references in the knowledge base forum on how to backup without using EM although we cant figure out how to even install EM or I'm just missing something so obvious it's pathetic :)

Ken
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam U-AIR Exchange/SQL

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ken,

First of all, can you please tell me what version of Exchange server are you current running? Is it 2007 or 2010?

As regards specifying Enterprise Manager during AIR wizards deployment, then you're right that this step can be skipped. See our sticky F.A.Q. that describes the process of using AIR wizards without Enterprise Manager: VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Btw, EM can be downloaded from our web site, the installation is located next to Veeam B&R installation files.

Thanks!
cyberwarrior101
Novice

We are running Exchange 2010 utilizing Veeam B&R. As for Enterprise Manager can you be more precise as to where the download can be found? I go to the Product Download page, click on B&R then I can see only Veeam B&R and the universal, AD, Exchange and SQL downloads... Am I missing something?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you're using Exchange 2010, there is no need to install Exchange AIR, it's much more convenient to use Veeam Explorer for Exchange feature which is built-in to our latest version (#6.5) of Veeam B&R.

I guess I should have mentioned it earlier, that Enterprise Manager is included to the core Veeam B&R download bits. Please take a look inside the .zip file you have downloaded from our site.
cyberwarrior101
Novice

Ah ok, that makes no sense.. so Air is not neded at all. I can still do mailbox, calendar, contacts, etc. using the Veeam explorer for Exchange. I'll give the some testing. Thanks!
Gav@GH
Influencer
Liked: 15 times

Post by Gav@GH »

You seem to be glossing over the licensing requirements - Vitaliy, can you please clarify if Veeam Explorer can be used on a Standard license, without Enterprise Manager, for granular item level recovery?

-
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

U-AIR is available only for enterprise licenses. Veeam Explorer for Exchange is available in all versions of B&R, even "Free Edition". VSS is supported with standard license, and granular item recovery is available with all versions, although restore directly back to the Exchange server is only available with enterprise license. With other versions you can restore to PST file, MSG file, or forward recovered items directly back to mailboxes. Even with standard license it's pretty trivial to put mail back into Exchange by exporting to PST and then using Outlook, or Exchange CLI commands to import messages into an Exchange mailbox.

This document describes the differences between standard and enterprise licenses.
mephisto
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Mephisto poa

Post by mephisto »

I can't find anything related to using U-AIR without enterprise manager on the link provided.

could you please assist? We have the enterprise license for Veeam but no license for Enterprise manager I believe
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mephisto,

Backup Enterprise Manager does not require a separate licence key, you can use your existing Veeam license to install EM (if required).

In order to skip approval procedure of the restore requests in EM, please use this workflow:
U-AIR Lab Requests Workflow wrote:Q: I am the only admin in a small environment. Do I have to use the requests workflow in order to be able to restore application items?
A: No, obviously we do not want you to spend time creating and approving lab requests for yourself. As backup administrator, you can simply right-click any VM in the running SureBackup job session, and start application-item recovery procedure immediately. Just make sure AIR wizards are installed on your Veeam Backup server.
Thanks!