Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
nico.weytens
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nico Weytens

Right-sizing report - Narrowing down the scope

Post by nico.weytens »

I'm not opening a support case for this, as I don't consider this as a problem, but as a request for info :)

We'd like to use the Virtual Machines. Right-sizing – VM’s Oversized for Memory and CPU report on a subset of our VM's. By default it uses the group nworks VMware Guests, but for the task at hand that's too much irrelivant info.
I thought this would be simple by creating a new group with a more limited dynamic membership but the report seems not to output anything anymore when I do that. "Total VM's processed" shows 0.

The query in the default group is this:

Code: Select all

( Object is VMGUEST Virtual Machine AND True ) 
This is the query I used in the Dynamic Membership tab of the new group:

Code: Select all

( Object is VMGUEST Virtual Machine AND ( Datacenter Name Matches regular expression BICS. ) AND True ) 
I expect this to show all VM's limited to datacenters that have a name starting with "BICS".
When I view the group members it does contain 412 managed objects. I sampled a couple of the objects and they look correct.

Where did I take a wrong turn here?
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Right-sizing report - Narrowing down the scope

Post by Alec King »

Hi Nico,

Your Group criteria looks OK. I think you just need to wait for your group criteria to be processed by the Data Warehouse. Because our reports use aggregated data, you may have to wait before the Report is able to correlate VM data with the group you created. Even though the group shows as populated in the Ops Mgr console - that's using the Ops Db, not the Reporting Warehouse. Data Warehouse synchronisation will regularly update the DW DB and then the report will work.

How long ago did you create the group?

Cheers
Alec
nico.weytens
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nico Weytens

Re: Right-sizing report - Narrowing down the scope

Post by nico.weytens » 1 person likes this post

you are right Alec, as usual :)
I created the new group yesterday morning and ran the report immediately afterwards.
I've rerun it now and it now shows data. At the moment there's still 95% of the VM's that could not be analyzed, but I seein the remark that's due to missing historical config. I'll give it some more time and let's see after the weekend.

Thanks again!