Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Davidb1
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Beaven

Replication to Azure of VM's for DR

Post by Davidb1 »

We are currently using VMWare and are thinking about whether this might be a reason to move to hyper V!...

If we run a second Veeam host on a virtual server in Azure (using the virtual network gateway vpn feature) I assume this will allow us to replicate all our live Hyper V VM's to Azure storage (using IP remap to cope with subnet differences)?
We would then associate these files with 'new' azure virtual machines and then if we then lost our main site servers then in DR mode we could activate all the VM's in Azure. See also http://blogs.msdn.com/b/devkeydet/archi ... azure.aspx

Is this workable / has anyone tried it?

Thanks
David
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Replication to Azure of VM's for DR

Post by veremin »

Unfortunately, I don’t have much to say about this scenario, however, some problem might occur if a tunnel is created by the means of Windows Azure Connect (native Azure VPN creator). As far as I understand, it only supports ipv6, meanwhile, VB&R itself will not work over IPv6 only networks.

Additionally, in case of backing up to a cloud you can utilize third-party vendors that provide required functionality, such as TwinStrata CloudArray, etc.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Davidb1
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Beaven

Post by Davidb1 »

Thanks for the reply. The vpn connector is the Windows Azure Virtual Network http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library ... 56007.aspx
I think it supports ipv4.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Davidb1 wrote:If we run a second Veeam host on a virtual server in Azure (using the virtual network gateway vpn feature) I assume this will allow us to replicate all our live Hyper V VM's to Azure storage
If you're able to access your source VMs from the Azure cloud, then I believe it should work just fine.