Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Antonio.Proietti
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Antonio

delete old restore points after VM Id is changed

Post by Antonio.Proietti »

Recently I have to remove a virtual machine from VMware Inventory and then add it again (some name, obviously different VMware ID).
Our actual release are Vsphere 4.1 update 2 and Veeam B & R v. 6.1
Now the job including this VM (I add again the VM to that job after ID change) runs perfectly. I configured 14 restore point and today
we have reached 9 of them.
But at the filesystem level I can see much more backup file; if I start the Restore Wizard I can see 2 VM with the same name (the actual
VM and the old that was removed from inventory; I confirm that they are the same machine from a user perspective...), the active VM has
9 restore point, the old 7. It seems there are 2 backup chains, the old one stopped on 21 June; the actual chain last backup was the last night.

How can I delete the old restore point and save many space ( I have Enable syntetic full option enabled...)?
If I simply remove the old files, probably the old restore point are maintained in the Veeam database? There is a way to make a clean removal
of that old backup files?

Thanks and regard,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: delete old restore points after VM Id is changed

Post by foggy »

Antonio, the old restore points are kept according to the Deleted VMs Retention Period setting and will be automatically deleted on that period expiration. Otherwise, to release the space manually, you can select the old VM in the Backups view, right-click it, and click Remove from Disk.
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

Post by brupnick »

foggy, based on this post from Anton (http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7914#p32848), it seems as though the size of the file does not change when a VM is deleted from a backup. Is this still true as of VBR 6.5 Patch 1? I just wanted to clarify what you meant by "release the space manually" in your post (sorry for splitting hairs here).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Brain.

Yep, you’re completely right in your assumption that deleting specific VM from backup will not result in shrinking of existing .VBK-file; running new full backup is necessary in this case.

More information regarding it can be found in this topic.

Though I’m not Alexander, I believe that in his statement he described the situation of coexistence of two backup chains and proposed the solution for deletion the old one. This case is slightly different than the one you’re referring to.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

Post by brupnick »

Thanks Vladimir. Obviously I welcome anyone's input and yours is no exception. Thanks for clearing that up for me.