Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kevin1979
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin

VEEAM and adding vcenter server

Post by kevin1979 »

I have VEEAM running at a remote location (Australia) and am trying to add a vcenter server that is at my main location (United States). The sites are connected via VPN. When I try to add my vcenter server I get through the server name and specifying credentials but it sits at "Saving server to configuration". How do I get around this? Why am I trying to add a remote vcenter server you may ask. Well I have a vcenter server at my main site that controls all the ESX servers at all of my sites so I need to add it so that VEEAM knows about Vmotioned servers.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: VEEAM and adding vcenter server

Post by dellock6 »

Kevin, do you "vmove" VMs between sites? How much bandwidth do you have between the two sites?

My personal record with remote Veeam and vCenter is 720 km, and it took some time to complete vCenter registration in Veeam, but I think was no more than 2-3 minutes, having 6 mbits bandwidth with 30-35 ms latency. Does the task completes after some time, or it does not complete at all?

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
kevin1979
Influencer

Post by kevin1979 »

dellock6 wrote:Kevin, do you "vmove" VMs between sites? How much bandwidth do you have between the two sites?

My personal record with remote Veeam and vCenter is 720 km, and it took some time to complete vCenter registration in Veeam, but I think was no more than 2-3 minutes, having 6 mbits bandwidth with 30-35 ms latency. Does the task completes after some time, or it does not complete at all?

Luca.
No, I don't vMotion between sites but there are two servers at the site that I do vMotion between.

There is a VPN tunnel between the sites. The slowest pipe is 2Mbit with 200-250ms latency.
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Ok, got it. We too have at that customers two vCenters with 2 nodes per site, just like you. We were able to register the remote vCenter with a small wait, as I asked, were you able to complete the registration? Otherwise I will try to see the logs to find out the error, or open a support case, because it may be a slow process, but it usually completes even on slow pipes...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
kevin1979
Influencer

Post by kevin1979 »

Thanks. It finally finished after close to an hour.
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Glad you made it, but even at only 2 mbits the time to complete seems too much, maybe there is other kind of traffic flowing through that pipe, so the "real" speed during the connection was even less than maximum 2 mbits? I have no exact numbers, but seems we had to wait less than 2 minutes on a dedicated 6 mbits pipe...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1