Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
xadamz23
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Veeam Services Randomly Stop

Post by xadamz23 »

I have several Windows 2008 R2 servers set to auto update. After last weeks MS updates the VMware Tools service just stops on it's own randomly. Not only that, but other services stop. I have Veeam Backup and Replication 6.1 installed in a VM and it's services have been randomly stopping after the MS updates.

I've been Googling the last few days the only thing I have found is one post in a VMware forum (http://communities.vmware.com/message/2164740). I have not found anything posted by MS or by VMware about this.

Is anyone else having the issue?

Does anyone know the exact MS KB that caused it?

Does anyone know the solution?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Veeam Services Randomly Stop

Post by dellock6 »

Hi, first remember VM Tools come from VMware, not Microsoft.
If it seems a problem caused by MS patches, you can simply remove them one by one and check which one caused the problem.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
AndyGDIT
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Andrew Frye

Post by AndyGDIT » 1 person likes this post

I am having this exact issue, I patched my Veeam servers this past Monday (12/17) and I missed one patch (which was patched and rebooted 12/18) and I started having these issues on Wednesday. They are stopping around the same time. 12:56am

I may start with uninstalling that last patch and see how it goes.

**EDIT**

I think I may have found it... The Optional Patch for the WMI 3.0 (KB2506143), was found to have a bug in it if you are using SCCM 2012. I was told not to install this patch, because the SCCM 2012 patch level does not support WMI 3.0 (only the Service Pack 1, which just came out this week support it). From what I am told it screws up WMI when SCCM does its health check each day. this may be what is causing it. You have to uninstall the patch and do a registry change to fix it. I will work on finding the change we did to fix it.

Windows Management Framework 3.0 for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2506143)

Installation date: ‎12/‎18/‎2012 3:59 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

Windows Management Framework 3.0 provides updated management functionality for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Windows Management Framework 3.0 includes Windows PowerShell 3.0, WMI, and WinRM 3.0, along with other management features.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2506143

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

AndyGDIT wrote:hey are stopping around the same time. 12:56am
I'm not sure that it might be exactly the same issue, but our QC team has discovered that on Windows Server 2012 (Windows Server 2008R2 might be also affected) there is a scheduled maintenance task which might stop Windows WMI service every night, which in turn leads to hard stops of all services that depend on this WMI service.

Can you please check whether you have this task running or not? If yes, then try disabling it, should help: http://postimage.org/image/qu8k2lwij/

EDIT: Andy, you're spot on!
AndyGDIT
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Andrew Frye

Post by AndyGDIT »

Hi Vitaliy

Yes, I do have the configuration manager task to run its health check. Its scheduled to run every day at 12:55am It last finished at 12:55:56am this morning (12/21). I believe that the registry change that I mentioned disables it as well. I am waiting for my SCCM co-worker to come in this morning.

Andrew
xadamz23
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by xadamz23 »

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This problem was driving me nuts!
kevin1979
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin

Post by kevin1979 »

Unfortunately that didn't fix it for me. I disabled that task and didn't see the WMI patch installed. The service does seem to stop every day at the same time. My Veeam server is Windows 7 and there does appear to be some WMI events in the event log. What should the patch be listed as in "Programs and Features"?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

This issue does not have to deal with any recent patches, as we have most definitely seen it back a few months ago after having some Microsoft software installed. I will try to get more details from QC on Monday, but the cause was WMI service being stopped by some scheduled process or task, causing all dependent services to stop.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, under no circumstances should you delete Windows Management Framework 3.0 , or, otherwise, PowerShell 3.0 which is required for running Veeam Snap-in will be also deleted. And all of your Veeam-scripts are likely to fail with the following error:

Code: Select all

Add-PSSnapin : Cannot load Windows PowerShell snap-in VeeamPSSnapIn because of the following error: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Veeam.Backup.PowerShell.dll' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded.
Thanks.
Arve
Lurker

Post by Arve »

I'm experiencing trouble with the WMI 3.0 update as well, even after uninstalling it.
Someone earlier mentioned that they had to do changes to the registry to completely uninstall the update, has anyone else done this?

I'm experiencing that both VMware Tools and Veeam services stops when the SCCM health check runs.
CMBMike
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Chmiel

Post by CMBMike »

I had the same problem. Uninstalling the patch, rebooting and running c:\windows\ccm\ccmeval to force the SCCM client check fixed it for me. I did not touch the registry.... Interesting how uninstalling the patch isn't fixing it for most people.
Arve
Lurker

Post by Arve »

I did a complete uninstall of the SCCM Client on the affected servers, and this resolved the issue for me.
Since backup takes precedence to the SCCM client, I haven't tried reinstalling the client, even though this might work.

I'll try this later, as soon as I've got a couple of days with successful backups.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I’ve decided to update this topic with the corresponding Veeam KB.

Hope this will help future readers.

Thanks.