Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Squeezer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Question on restoring files

Post by Squeezer »

I have 2 offices, one in Jackson, MS , and another in Oxford, MS connected together via a T-1 line. Each office has a 2008R2 Hyper-V Server with a handful of Server 2008R2 VMs. I have Veeam Backup and Replication 6.5 installed in Oxford, with a backup repository as a local F: drive on the Hyper-V server connected to the SAN and both Hyper-V servers are a backup repository.

For instance, the Jackson VMs backup to F: on the Jackson Hyper-V server. However, I seem to be having a problem. On the Oxford server where Veeam B&R 6.5 is installed, I will perform a restore of Guest Files on a Jackson VM, the restored files only restore at about 175KB/sec, which is the maximum throughput of the T-1. So, it seems that the Oxford Veeam B&R Server is pulling the recovery data across the T-1 from F: on the Jackson Hyper-V server, processing it, and then sending the recovered files back to the Jackson VM. My question is: Is there not a way to have the restore be processed locally at the Jackson, MS Hyper-V server so that the restore will happen at the Gigabit network speed?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Question on restoring files

Post by tsightler »

When performing a file level restore the compressed disk image stored in the repository is mounted to the Veeam server to access the files, so that gives you exactly the behavior that you see. A simple workaround would be to install a copy of Veeam in Jackson that is pointed to the local repository and use this for local restores.