Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
LinkeLoe
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Leo Schroer

Backup / restore domain controller

Post by LinkeLoe »

Hi,

I know this question has been asked several times, but I cannot find a suitable answer...

We are using Veeam B&R 6.1 for Hyper-V and I was wondering how to backup and restore a domain controller with Veeam. In the backup job I have checked the box "application aware image processing" and I filled in the correct domain credentials. The backup is running successfully. I also get no errors in restoring a domain controller (to our test environment).

I understand that the first time the server is booting, it should go into DSRM, but this doesn't happen. When I first boot the VM, I see a screen with the option to start Windows normally, or boot into safe mode, the default is to start Windows normally. It never boots into DSRM automatically. It takes a long time to boot the VM and when I'm finally able to login and start DNS manager, or anything related to Active Directory, I get error messages of domain naming information that cannot be found...

What is the correct way to backup and restore a virtual domain controller, running on Hyper-V?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup / restore domain controller

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Leo,

It doesn't really matter what hypervisor you're using to host your DC VM, as the restore procedure looks exactly same for both platforms. If you do not see this behavior for some reason, then it would be best to open a support case and let our support engineer investigate it for you.

Thanks!
jlyle
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jeff Lyle

Post by jlyle »

I am getting the same issue as you LinkeLoe, I am running 6.1 with VMware and a surebackup of my 4 DC's results in the message "The domain ..name here... could not be found because: The specified comain either does not exist or could not be contacted." when accessing tools like AD users and computers snap in.

Connectivity between the DC's is not a problem (pingable by ip and name), DNS appears to be functioning correctly.

Please let me know if you find a solution, I'll get back with anything I can find.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

LinkeLoe or jlyle could please either of you post the support case ID for this issue, so I can check up on this with R&D. Thanks!
jlyle
Novice

Post by jlyle »

I just opened a support case yesterday and have started working with them on a resolution ( ref:_00D30RWR._50060NugB6:ref). Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

jlyle wrote:( ref:_00D30RWR._50060NugB6:ref)
This is not a support case ID. Look for 8 digit number.
jlyle
Novice

Post by jlyle »

My apologies the case number is 00173386 I have just been escalated to tier 2.
jlyle
Novice

Post by jlyle » 1 person likes this post

In my case the domain controllers were not always starting quick enough. The Resolution was to ensure that the correct roles were selected on the role tab of the VM's in the application group increasing the boot timeout to 1800s and application timeout to 600s, and ensuring that on the test scripts tab that only comain controller script is running. Loosing the other scripts ensures that surebackup jobs wait around for less time otherwise I would need a larger application timeout.

Only other thing is that our Exchange 2007 Store service did not always start automatically, probable resolution to set the service on delayed start.
nineoff
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: DD

Post by nineoff »

Hi there,
I am sorry to change a flow of this conversation. Would you help me out with one issue. I have been reading Veaam Backup & Replication 7 manual and have hard time figuring out what is the proper user privileges to complete Domain Controller backup. I am talking about the application-aware feature and credentials that I need to provide in order to complete the task successfully.
The thing I found about the Domain Controller restore, that you need to provide local admin credentials to complete the restore successfully.
Is that the case as well for the backup job with application-aware feature enabled, so I need to provide user account with local administrator right.

*******Taken from the manual*******
Guest OS credentials section, specify an account with local administrative privileges for injecting the
process. If you have not set up the necessary credentials beforehand, click the Manage accounts link
at the bottom of the list or click Addon the right to add the necessary credentials. To learn more, see
Managing Credentials.

Once again, sorry to interrupt ;-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Yes, you need to use the account with local admin privileges.

Thank you!